Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2011 22:00

Keyboard failure,error,not working (Solved)

About the keyboard issue that I had. I finally got it solved.
I was working on a friend's Dell Dimension E521 when I experienced the exact same problem---loss of keyboard and usb ports.
I tried all the different ports that were suggested as a fix. None of that worked. Also this machine had no PS2 ports at all.
This is a friend's computer. After thoroughly looking over her computer, I noticed that one of
the front USB ports had a few bent pins. I thought to myself, perhaps that's got something to do with it.
(maybe causing some grounding/shorting problem). So I straightened them out the best I could. Then I did the unconventional,
unspeakable,unmentionable.......I removed the CMOS battery and turned the computer on (WITHOUT the CMOS battery installed).
and VOILA!!!!!  I had a keyboard again. I really don't whether it was straightening out those pins or re-booting without
the battery that actually did the trick but one of them  worked. I don't know if it will help anyone else but it worked for me. So, if you have no
bent USB pins, you may want to try the boot-without-battery trick. (At your own risk)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2011 10:00

Hi Jacko11,

I've got to give you credit for trying something I never would have thought of! :emotion-2: Glad that worked out. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 16th, 2011 11:00

jackco11 

Congrats, excellent troubleshooting, with a solution.

Bev.

No Events found!