Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2011 20:00

My Dell computer which I just got second hand (free) beeps randomly and wont start HELP?

Hello, I just picked up a dell computer from a friend, it was an old gaming computer which has a

-250 gb hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Blue) 

-nvida graphics card (geforce 6)

-Sound card Audigy 2 Z5 (Sound blaster)

this is a bit tricky I think this is the ram: 2 sticks having 8 black rectangles on each stick.

It says its a Samsung, 512MB 1Rx8 on each strip. SERIAL NUMBER KR M378T6553BG0 - CD5D5

My computer CD/DvD drives work fine, floppy even(yeah its like 5 years old) the issue is that it will not boot up, nothing loads, computer is running full blast, fans going but screen is completely black im at a loss on what even to do because anything ive ever fixed was well it was going, this internal stuffs confusing the hell out of me

Please post for dummies, I am really really inexperienced at anything internally speaking with a computer.

Thank you in advance. The beeping sequence is Beeep Beeep Beepx3 (faster) pause pause Beepx2 (fast as beep x3)

EDIT: Model number : WHL

OS is windows XP home edition

on the sides it says XPS on the sides and like I said its around 5-6 years old

Someone mentioned cleaning memory, how do I clean the memory? and do you mean RAM?

June 13th, 2011 20:00

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 13th, 2011 22:00

Ummm...unless you tell us the PC model number, nobody can help you. Without the model number there's no way to  know what the beep code is trying to tell you.

Include the version of Windows too.  

Ron

29 Posts

June 14th, 2011 04:00

Hi, if you have been hearing 3beep then it is memory issue, open the side cover and remove & clean the memory and refix it,

if you are not getting any beeps can you confirm your Keyboard is working, Press a num lock key and look for the LED, if your Keyboard LED is not blinking then it is hardware issue

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 15:00

I also picked up a used dell Dimention 4600  windows XP home.   It will not boot up.  It beeps  4 beeps a short pause then 2 more beeps.  Can it be fixed.?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 16:00

hrayg

Is the power switch LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Check the Sequence of the Diagnostic Lights on the back panel, you can find the Diagnostic Guide and Service Manual HERE

Bev.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 17:00

The power and the busy green led s are both on solid.  the fans are also running. . I'm not very computer savy, but willing to try to get this up and running.    I did have a friend take the hard drive out and do a scan on it to see about any viruses .  all was clear  and drive put back in,  and same results.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 17:00

You might try removing the (coin-shaped) battery from the mainboard for a minute or so.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 18:00

no,  sorry,  didnt know there were any.  will do that in a day or two, and let you know..  thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

The power and the busy green led s are both on solid.  the fans are also running. . I'm not very computer savy, but willing to try to get this up and running.    I did have a friend take the hard drive out and do a scan on it to see about any viruses .  all was clear  and drive put back in,  and same results.

hrayg

Did you check the Sequence of the four Diagnostic Lights on the back panel?

Bev.

5 Posts

I did that first when it wouldn't start.  Replaced it with a new one.   old one was good, found out after testing it.

5 Posts

February 5th, 2012 15:00

The only 4 lights on the back are

"A" and its yellow. 

"B" it is also yellow.  and

"C" its green.  and

"D" its green.

no other lights of any kind.

Again when its turned on, I get 4 beeps, then a pause,  and then 2 more beeps,  then the fan seems to speed up after the beeping is done.

The hard drive light and the "on" light are both on constantly during all this, and stay on until its shut off.

Nothing on the monitor screen, and no other action, everything is just....  well nothing.

After this occurred, I also replaced the cmos battery with a new one,  thought  that was the problem,  but wrong.!

Is it burial time.?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 5th, 2012 16:00

hrayg

YYGG diagnostic lights indicate that Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred, first try opening the case, then remove and reinstall all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference.

No, difference use the YYGG troubleshooting procedures, given in the link I previously posted and report back.

Bev.

No Events found!