Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 6th, 2012 13:00

Odd driver update experience - Dell looked into my machine, offered urgent updates, they couldn't be installed

Precision T3500 - used the Dell Drivers & Downloads, allowed Dell to install the utililty to look into my system.

Updates were suggested for several peripherals I don't have... I ignored them (but why, after the utility looked into my system, were they offered?)

More importantly, 3 "Urgent" updates were listed. I downloaded them after installing the recommended Dell Download Manager.

Tried to install them... not one would install. One said I needed the Windows 7 Service Pack. My OS is Windows 7 Service Pack 1 -- that's the latest, no?

One said it did not apply to my system.

Don't remember what the 3rd said.

Most puzzling...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 6th, 2012 18:00

Unfortunately, Dell's support site has been a mess for a while now and it may be giving you bad info. We've been after Dell for MONTHS to clean up their mess...

You might be better off entering your Service Tag at Dell's Support home page to find the right drivers rather than letting that wizard scan your system.

Did your system come with Win 7 or did you upgrade after receiving the system, which might cause erroneous results? And is it 32- or 64-bit Win 7?

The two System Utilities files you listed are for the same release of Desktop System Software (DSS; R260000.exe), but with different installation procedures.

When I looked for Drivers/Downloads for this model, independent of Service Tag number and without letting it scan since I don't have a T3500, I found this page with a newer version of DSS listed. Be sure to select your version of Win 7 on that page before selecting and downloading any drivers.

It appears the latest DSS is R260746.exe and it's compatible with both 32- and 64-bit Win 7.  Follow the specific instructions listed to install whichever of the two versions of DSS you select. And use the "Single File" (browser) download option, not the Download Manager option.

Read the info about the System Management Application here to see if you want/need this. Doesn't look to be essential to me, unless you're in a corporate IT environment where this would be used to manage distribution of Windows updates etc.

34 Posts

one was "System Utilities, Dell-Utility Other Formats.

one was "System Management, Dell-Application

3rd one no longer listed, should have written it down..

34 Posts

Okay, found them in my "Downloads list", even though they have been downloaded (why are they still there?)

34 Posts

October 7th, 2012 19:00

didn't answer your question - Windows 7 Professional and preloaded (at least, it was on C: and the computer came with a Dell-logo-ed Operating System DVD with Windows Professional SP1 on the label.

34 Posts

October 7th, 2012 19:00

Thanks again. Would be nice if Dell could address what they call 'the user experience' with that portion of its site...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 8th, 2012 11:00

Thanks again. Would be nice if Dell could address what they call 'the user experience' with that portion of its site...

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, as you've noticed, Dell's website "user experience" isn't so good.  I've heard that they're supposed to fix the site but I'm not holding my breath! :emotion-5:

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 03:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                        

No Events found!