Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 8th, 2005 01:00

OptiPlex Riser Cards Interchangeable?

Hello,

I just purchased a new OptiPlex 170L with the Small Desktop Chassis and forgot to order it with the "Riser Cage w/ 2 full height PCI slots, 170L SDT" option.

I have an OptiPlex GX270 small desktop with the riser card that I'm not using.  Can I use the GX270 riser card in my 170L?

I tried it anyway (yes, I'm impatient) and the machine booted fine with no PCI cards installed in the riser cage.  Then I tried putting my PNY NVIDIA GeForce 5500 card into the riser cage and the machine either haults on startup or causes conflicts.

With the card installed in the PCI2 slot (this is where I had the card installed while in my GX270), the "white progress bar" on the boot screen gets to only about 10% and then just sits there.

With the card installed in the PCI1 slot, the machine boots, but right before Windows XP begins to start, I get an error message that says "01/07/0: Error allocating IRQ for PCI device" and then when Windows is up, the Device Manager has a "yellow exclamation point" on the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 icon.  The Device status says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)...

Does anyone know if this is a riser cage issue or a NVIDIA PCI card issue?

Is it a compatibility issue between the NVIDIA card and the 170L?  This setup worked completely fine in the GX270.

I installed all of this on the factory system.  Would re-installing Windows XP from scratch solve it?  Probably not, right? since I'm getting the error code before Windows even loads.  I've been all through the BIOS settings, including disabling every on-board device, and can't get the error code to go away.

Does anyone know of a 170L setup that will give me dual-vga support?  I'd like to keep the FX 5500 card (since it's already paid for), but my ultimate goal here is dual monitor support.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 8th, 2005 01:00

No they are not compatable. Very few risers are interchangeable.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2005 11:00

Thanks for the prompt reply SpeedStep.  (I see you're all over this forum and knew I could count on you!)

I guess I'm glad it's the riser card that's causing problems since I really like my FX 5500 for what I use it for.

Does anyone know if I can buy the OptiPlex 170L Small Desktop chassis Riser Card by itself?

Thanks again,
Bill

August 8th, 2013 19:00

Certain older DELL Desktop models having the riser carts with 2 PCI horizontal slots can be found on EBAY, the resources vary as parts like that are getting scarce due to the newer other computers, and laptops, putting these nice servicable older Dells out to the scrapheap...not all of them ,few DELL Optiplexes survive-Im using a DELL 170L Optiplex as I type this reply, and it has the same IRQ Riser board issue with its 2 PCI slots... can get the ethernet pcy slot to work, but need also really need that 5500 PCI graphics card to work too! Seems to be a Jumper Setting on the motherboard in these OPTIPLEX 170L models for the password, -->:emotion-42:anybody got a clear view PDF file schematic showing what any of the jumpers do, and how to add more IRQs for the XP 32 bit Dell Optiplex 170 L systems on these things?:emotion-42:

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 9th, 2013 09:00

Routing IRQ's is long since gone.  There are no jumpers or Bios settings to change this.  The FX5500 card likely does not work due to it being PCI 2.0 5v only card or unbuffered.   Pentium 4 based systems REQUIRE PCI 2.2 or PCI 2.3  cards that work with 3.3v instead of 5v

and have 2 Keyways in the slot connector.   Changing a Riser does not re route or assign IRQ's.

You may be able to free up resources by disabling the serial and parallel ports but that won't fix anything if the card draws too much power and or is not PCI 2.2 compatible.

GOOD CARD

BAD CARD with no PCI buffers.

BAD CARD WITH PCI BUFFERS BUT 5V ONLY

No Events found!