Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2013 09:00

Optiplex 3010 - No Hard Drive Found

Hello,

Last year we installed 30 Opti 3010 stations at a client.  Since then, we have had an infrequent but obnoxious error where every now and then a user will come in in the morning and they will have the message "No hard drive found, press F2 for Setup."  Powering off the station and booting resolves the problem each time, but the problem has occurred on 12 of the 30 stations and it recurs every couple of weeks.  Unfortunately, there has been no evidence of a problem with diagnostics, and the inability to recreate the problem on demand has made troubleshooting nearly impossible.  All hardware diagnostics have been performed, BIOS updated, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen the problem and has an idea of what may be going on.  Thank you!

1 Message

March 30th, 2014 23:00

Same problem here. We installed about 350 dell 3010 and we have the same issue on multiple computers. Also in some cases before the no hard disk found error user gets a BSOD.

We contacted dell support but still no answer.

March 31st, 2014 13:00

I've sent you a friend request.  Perhaps we can collaborate on troubleshooting?  I've made some headway into the issue but have yet to identify a cause.  Replacing the HDD seems to have cleared up the problem, but since it can take weeks to recur, I have not been confident to call it "solved."

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 31st, 2014 18:00

I just pinged my Dell tech contacts about this.

Hopefully they'll respond with some recommendations...

2 Posts

January 26th, 2016 07:00

Hello,

We are having the same issue at my place of work.  We have around 100 OptiPlex 3010s and periodically a user will come in and their computer will show "No hard drive found."  We simply turn the power off and back on to boot normally.  We have recently tried updating the BIOS to A15, but the issue has repeated on a couple machines with the newest BIOS update. 

Since it doesn't look like this thread was ever resolved, I wanted to rehash the issue.

Thank you.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2016 06:00

We have finally resolved this issue at my work.  You have to update the hard drive firmware. Look under the driver downloads for an OptiPlex 3010 on Dell's support site for this download:

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002/ST320DM000/ST250DM000 Firmware Update

Thanks,

Ben

No Events found!