Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2012 09:00

Optiplex 745 USFF Hard Drive Fan Failure Error

I have an Optiplex 745 ultra-small form factor unit. It has been giving us a "Hard Drive Fan Failure" error occasionally. It doesn't appear that the fan has completely died, because I hear it run for a while, and then it stops. What should I do about it?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 5th, 2012 10:00

I have an Optiplex 745 ultra-small form factor unit. It has been giving us a "Hard Drive Fan Failure" error occasionally. It doesn't appear that the fan has completely died, because I hear it run for a while, and then it stops. What should I do about it?

debit72
Replace the fan, you will need to buy another Dell fan, as it's a proprietary unit.
Bev.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2013 13:00

We have a lot of these Dells.  The fans get dusty.  We pull the sticker off of the bearing and squirt a drop of oil inside.  It works for quite a few more months.  We do this with the hard drive fan along with the front and rear fans (they are the same).  

We then clear the log or else we get a 'previous fan failure' message.

We don't replace the fan until it is completely dead.

May 11th, 2014 19:00

I have same problem with my dell optiplex. I re;laced the hard drive fan but still get error message hard drive fan failure. I cleared log but still get message

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 11th, 2014 19:00

indoorairpro

Did you install a Dell OEM fan?

Bev.

May 14th, 2014 06:00

NO actually , I thought it was but when I installed it it did not fit perfectly I needed a little duct tape to fill the void. I then ordered a fan from dell and am waiting on that to come in,

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 14th, 2014 08:00

indoorairpro

:emotion-21:

Bev.

May 22nd, 2014 06:00

Replaced fan it with fan I purchased directly from dell and it fit perfectly and error went away immediately

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 22nd, 2014 06:00

indoorairpro

Thank you for the heads up and pleased to hear that replacing the fan with a Dell OEM unit, was the solution.  :emotion-2:

Bev.

2 Posts

September 18th, 2014 12:00

I took a 745 out of a dumpster at work, installed some missing stuff and it worked fine except for this annoying disk fan problem.  Got two new fans but no smiles.  Stumbled upon a solution by luck.  The plastic socket/shroud on the MB for the 5-pin fan plug is press-fit and you can pull it off.  You can then insert the plug directly onto the naked 5-pin header.  This provided a much snugger connection, I think because the the socket shroud reduced the length of contact between male header pins on the MB and female contacts on the fan cable.  The fan failure problem is gone.  With this solution you won't have a locking tab between plug and socket but the fit is so much tighter that the locking tab is unnecessary.

No Events found!