Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 8th, 2013 12:00

Optiplex 9010 All-in-One Wake-on-LAN Problem

We recently purchased 70 Dell Optiplex 9010 All-in-Ones running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and as with past machines we have loaded LANDesk on them and are trying to control them remotely.  However, Wake-on-LAN does not seem to be working on the machines so we end up having to physically go to the machine to turn it on.  We alos are using Faronics Powersave to turn them on and off and this too uses standard Wake-on-LAN but is also not working.  We think we have traced the problem to a network card setting (at least this was the fix for a similar problem in the past).

When we access the network card properties in Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Configure -> Power Management there is the following setting: "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  The last time we had WOL problms we had to uncheck this setting.  This time, when we uncheck it and reboot the machine it is checked again. 

This setting corresponds to the following registry key: HLKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007\PnPCapabilities

When the Setting is checked the value is set to 0x00000100 (256) and when we uncheck it and refresh the registry view it is set to 0x00000118 (280).  However, once we reboot the setting returns on its own to checked and the registry key is set back to 0x00000100.

If we reboot in safe mode with networking the setting remains unchanged.  The BIOS is set to wake-on-LAN.  The NIc is  a LOM Intel 82579LM and we are using the Intel driver versus the Dell driver.

We have tried disabling Intel AMT to no avail and We also read that changing Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Energy Efficient Ethernet from "On if system is awake" to "Off" would work but it made no difference. 

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 8th, 2013 12:00

Hi rheckber,

According the tech technical guide, WOL is definitely supported. Since these are new, my suggestion would be to contact Dell business support for help.

5 Posts

January 11th, 2013 23:00

I just bought OptiPlex 9010 and I have the same problem. Nothing seems to make wake-on-lan work. When it's shut off the LAN controller LEDs (the once in the RJ45 plug) are off too. It seem power is cut off from the LAN controller no matter WOL setting in the BIOS.  One thing is sure WOL is not working. If you find a solution please post it here.

5 Posts

January 12th, 2013 00:00

This seemed fix the WOL issue. In BIOS/Power Management/Deep Sleep Control set to DISABLED

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi A101102,

Thanks for the update.

3 Posts

February 28th, 2013 19:00

I have the same WOL issue of optiplex 9010 in windows 8 prof. even

In BIOS/Power Management/Deep Sleep Control set to DISABLED and enable  BLOCK SLEEP

1 Message

April 4th, 2013 23:00

We had the same issue, even after trying all of the above suggestions. What fixed the problem for us was to update to the latest intel driver for the NIC; now WOL works fine. This allows us to schedule the WOL from the Dell KACE 1000 to wake the machines before running our patching schedules.

December 13th, 2013 04:00

Which version of the driver, we have optiplex 7010 systems and wol is also not working

5 Posts

December 30th, 2013 03:00

i have tried all the settings. upgrade the bios to A16 and upgrade the intel network card driver. disable deep sleep. nothing seems to be working. i have win 7 pro with SP1

3 Posts

February 27th, 2014 10:00

I was able to get WOL working again, the issue for me seemed to be Energy Efficient Ethernet. Try disabling that and by clicking configure on your NIC, then on the advaced tab you should see Energy Efficient Ether net.

Hope this helps!

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 00:00

I have tried your solution. But still it is not working. Can you please send me the configurations you did.

3 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 09:00

Listed below are the setting I used on my test machine OptiPlex 9020 with success, I am using LanDesk to Wake my machines. Bios Under PowerManagement -Deep Sleep Control, set to disable -Wake on Lan; set to LAN Only Windows Network Adapter Properties - Energy Efficient Ethernet; Set to OFF - Wake on Magic Packet; set to ON - Match Packet Pattern; Set to on NIC Power Management Tab - Check; Allow this device to wake the computer only Driver is version 12.11.77.0, NIC is I217-LM Hope this helps!

5 Posts

March 4th, 2014 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. we have checked all the settings but still it is not working with our optiplex 9010, we have nic Intel 82579LM Driver version 12.6.45.0. Bios version A17. rest all the settings are same.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2014 06:00

Okay, I think I have it figured out. I found a 7010 to test with and I was able to get it working. It has the same nic as your 9010. Please follow the link and install this driver. It is the full featured driver from intel. After downloading just extract to a flash drive and run auto run on a test machine. Please let me know if this helps you out? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22283&lang=eng&OSVersion=OS%20Independent&DownloadType=Software%20Applications

5 Posts

March 5th, 2014 23:00

Hi,

i updated the driver. but still no luck witn dell optiplex 9010. is there any body who have successfully used WOL on optiplex 9010?

1 Message

May 7th, 2014 16:00

I just made it work on a month old Optiplex 9010. It took some playing and a lot of perusing different forums. The themes are pretty much all the same - BIOS and power settings are the culprit.

On the 9010 I just wasted 6 hours on, it was the BIOS settings for Wake on LAN (disabled by default) and the DEEP SLEEP option needs to be disabled.

Trying one thing at a time and testing, it was definitely the DEEP SLEEP that was keeping it from working on this machine.

No Events found!