Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2012 19:00

Optiplex FX160 cover removal

Anyone know how to get the cover off an Optiplex FX160?  The manual says to unscrew two screws in the back, then slide the cover forward and up.  I've tried it.  It won't budge.  I need help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi Tom,

All I can do is look at the same manual. You might want to bring it to a local shop for help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 4th, 2012 07:00

The cover slides about 1/4 to 1/2 inch  towards the front of the computer to clear the slots. Press down lightly to slide it. Make sure you have the correct side facing up--it is easy to make the mistake of having the computer turned the wrong way. Study the photo here: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

February 4th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Mary. Yes that's the same manual I'm using. I'm applying as much pressure in a forward direction as I can without breaking something, but it seems to be catching on something. It looks like it only moves about 1/16 of an inch and then it gets stopped by the edges of the front bezel. Does the front face need to come off first?  I never had a computer so hard to open like this. I appreciate your advice.  If you have any more ideas I'm pretty much stumped.

February 19th, 2012 05:00

I finally got the cover off.  I should note that the front bezel comes off with the cover.  It was on there pretty tight but I kept at it and finally it came off.  I was able to install a Crucial 64GB SSD.  The Optiplex FX160 bakes a nice little home computer when you installa hard drive.  I think I may add some more memory.  But for the price at the outlet store its a nice little machine.

11 Posts

May 25th, 2013 01:00

Turn it upside down on a table, while pressing cover sides with some fingers use your thumbs to slide mainboard forward, it's easy. Bye

1 Message

July 27th, 2013 13:00

It seems the Dell manual misses out many 'obvious'  steps to move the cover, let me help:

Removing the Computer Cover
1: Disconnect any headphones, microphone, USB items, security cable etc. as the entire font bezel comes off with the case.
2: Remove the stand, as this is also connected to the chassis and case.
      2.1 To remove the stand slide it towards the back of the PC and remove.
3:Remove the antenna so that it does not obstruct access to the cover screw.
4: Remove the two screws from the back of the computer.
5. Slide the cover toward the front of the computer and lift it off.
I found this out after struggling for 5mins and destroying my stand in the process... thanks Dell!:emotion-45:

July 27th, 2013 13:00

Thank you all for your comments. I did finally get the cover off. This makes a fine inexpensive computer with the addition of a 64mb SSD. I'm still using it with WindowsXP.
No Events found!