Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 3rd, 2008 23:00

Please assist with this customers question.

The Question and Answer will be posted on the Community Answers fragment. Look to the left/bottom for the Community Answers.

Q: I am planning on purchasing a new computer SOON. The more I look the more confused I get. I have been considering the XPS 630. There are so many options I know nothing about. Any recommendations? I would be for home use, I would like to have it for as long as possible without having to purchase new again, also would like to be able to edit pictures and videos easily.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

May 4th, 2008 00:00

I second cademetz's (well written)  endorsement of the 420. The 630 would only be of benefit if you wanted to upgrade the unit yourself.  As a moderate risk taker, I would opt not to get the accidental coverage, but that decision should be

based on your comfort level. I would opt in for the 8800gt- you never know when your inner- gamer may awaken.    

I would be interested to hear from users  if the Media Accelerator is significant for encoding audio or transcoding video.

Unfortunately the 420 no longer has the Adobe Studio included unless you go to the outlet and find one that has that configuration.  It can be done but takes a bit of sleuthing.

I have a 410 and a 420 and the 420 is a great computer.  It's fast and very reliable.  Despite what some may say, is also not a bad gaming machine if one isn't interested in OC'ing to the point of making your computer inoperable (ie. The 630 and the many problematic posts on this very forum).

I stand corrected, as I went and looked again at the software offerings with the 420 and I now see that Dell is again offering the Adobe Suite on the 2 higher end systems.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DXDWQJ3&s=dhs

they keep changing this but I think that is a good thing for us, the consumer, as this is a very handy suite to have and was a major selling point for me. 

Message Edited by Patrick Murphy on 05-03-2008 08:55 PM

244 Posts

I third that.

Go for the XPS420.

I had one for a while and absolutely loved it.

It will handle anything you throw at it.

I personally like the looks of the XPS420 more than the 630 also, but maybe thats just me.

The XPS420 will drf. suit what your looking for.

And like the last person said it would probably be worth going to a 8800GT video card.

1.3K Posts

This post has been removed in protest of DCF's and Dell's policies, behavior, lack of respect, and poor treatment of the community.
Message Edited by cademetz on 06-19-2008 03:05 PM

1.3K Posts

May 4th, 2008 03:00

This post has been removed in protest of DCF's and Dell's policies, behavior, lack of respect, and poor treatment of the community.
Message Edited by cademetz on 06-19-2008 03:05 PM
No Events found!