Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2009 22:00

Power supply on a Studio 540

Hello friends...

I recently attempted to upgrade the power supply on my Dell Studio 540, with no success. Everything fit and would plug in, and the fans and CD drive worked, but the computer didn't boot, and the monitor nor the mouse/keyboard received any signal. The tech guy at the place I bought the PSU had no clue why it didn't work, as the power supply worked fine on another computer, just not mine. The only possibility they could think of was that dell was still doing something to their motherboards so that only dell PSUs would work.

Is dell actually still doing this? On the Studio 540? The manual mentioned nothing of this, and even provides step-by-step instructions on how to replace the power supply. Are dell's power supplies on the Studio 540 only replaceable by their own?

Thanks!

Musicaljelly

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 23:00

Have you tried any other power supply?

I haven't replaced the PS in my 540S, but I did do it with a 4550 a few years back and it worked fine with a generic unit I bought off of Newegg.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

musicaljelly 

The Dell Studio 540 MT, does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, you need a PSU with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch and with a minimum of four SATA power connectors.

The Dell Studio 540 MT motherboard and case do have proprietary features, but the power supply is not one of them.

What was the power supply that you installed?

Bev.

November 3rd, 2009 15:00

Thanks for the replies!

The power supply I tried was an Antec TruePower 550w, as seen here. The tech guy tried the power supply out on another computer and it worked, so the power supply wasn't defective. Also, my computer still works (I'm using i right now :emotion-4: ) with the old power supply, so I haven't fried any of the parts.

It is a good idea, now that you mention it, to try out other power supplies. I have one or two that I have lying around or in other computers, and I'll try putting those in. I'll post back here with the results in a couple of days when I can get around to doing that.

Thanks you guys/girls again!

Musicaljelly

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 17:00

musicaljelly

You are welcome.

That's strange, the Antec TP-550, 550W ATX 12V v2.3 80PLUS Bronze PSU should have worked fine, with the Studio 540MT, providing the 20+4-pin [24-pin] and the 4-pin ATX 12v [not the 8-pinEPS12v] are connected to the motherboard.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2009 21:00

musicaljelly

As I posted, this is strange, many members have used Antec PSU's in Dell desktops, without a problem.

Bev.

Ps. I'll settle for a hamburger and a cold beer.    :emotion-5:

November 4th, 2009 21:00

So I tried out a 500w CoolerMaster taken from my brother's computer, and it worked flawlessly. Yay! So the Studio 540 does work with standard ATX power supplies, it would seem. Well, except for the one I happened to buy  :emotion-4:

Anyways, I'm going to go back to the store and exchange the Antec for a different PSU, likely something similar to the CoolerMaster that worked. I'll report back on how that goes, but I suspect it'll work just fine.

Thanks again!

Musicaljelly

PS: Wow shesagordie, you have more than 38000 posts! It looks like this community owes you a beer/wine/dinner. A REALLY big one too :emotion-2:

2 Posts

November 11th, 2009 05:00

I have experienced the same problem.  I bought an ANTEC True Power 750 Blue.  After installing the ANTEC and powering up the system, the power supply came on (fan, blue light), the fan on the CPU was running, but the system wouldn't boot.  I powered the system down, tried to power it up again, and this time nothing at all happened.  Completely dead.  Pulled out the ANTEC, put the original power supply back in, and everything works fine.

2 Posts

November 12th, 2009 17:00

After failing to get the Antec power supply to work, I sent it back and ordered a Corsair TX750.  I installed the Corsair and everything works fine.

6 Posts

November 12th, 2009 17:00

Hi,

I own a Studio 540 as well. Ugrading the psu on mine went smoothly, went from some off-brand 300 watt to a Corsair 650w Atx psu. I read somewere that ATX psus hade a high compatibility with dell systems. What brand is the psu? I think that some types of power supplies don't work with the dell motherboards as many of them are Dell "custom" motherboards which basically means they are picky about some of the hardware that they use. Could also be (but highly unlikely) that maybe something got damaged during the switch, you just never know.

Edit: Woops sorry didn't see that it was already pretty much solved. Good luck

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 12th, 2009 19:00

After failing to get the Antec power supply to work, I sent it back and ordered a Corsair TX750.  I installed the Corsair and everything works fine.

DavidGange

Appreciate the heads up on the Corsair power supply.     :emotion-11:

Bev.

4 Posts

March 7th, 2010 11:00

I just found this thread and also had no luck with an Antec TP-750.  Could others post what power supplies that they have gotten to work on this platform?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 16th, 2010 12:00

this_is_sebi

None that I know of, you could try contact Antec Tech, Support HERE and see if they have any thoughts on the issue.

Bev.

1 Message

August 16th, 2010 12:00

sorry for digging this old thread up, but i also have the problem with the antec tp550. is there any way to get this configuration to work?

December 28th, 2010 17:00

this_is_sebi

None that I know of, you could try contact Antec Tech, Support HERE and see if they have any thoughts on the issue.

Bev.

Many thanks to your description! I understand this part, It helps me out of the problem.

6 Posts

June 19th, 2012 14:00

Sorry for digging out this old thread. I recently bought a corsair TX 750 for my dell studio 540 and it wont boot up. I get an amber light on the front of tower and no video. the powersupply starts and all the fans but thats it. Can anyone advise please? thanks

No Events found!