Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2009 11:00

Precision 450 won't power up

I have a Precision 450 which is having a bad day.  When powered down the diagnostic light "A" is amber.  As soon as I press the power button the Hard drive light goes solid green, diagnostic light "C" goes amber and the power light stays solid amber.  The only thing that powers up inside the machine are the fans (Hard Drives don't spin, floppy and CD don't light up).  I've removedand reinstalled all cards, disconnected/reconnected power and data cables to all drives and motherboard, removed and reinstalled memory.   I get the same indications whatever I do even with all boards, memory and drives removed.  An inspection of the motherboard show a couple of capacitors located above the RAM slots had slightly bulged tops and some residue on them. 

Based on what I've found I'd say most likely a motherboard problem but it could be a Power problem as well.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?  Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 27th, 2009 12:00

You can buy a refurbished mobo for this system from Centrix for  $29 + shipping, with 30-day warranty.

You'll have to decide if it's cheaper to replace the mobo or the power supply, but those capacitors don't sound healthy. Your mileage may vary... :emotion-5:

Ron

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

July 29th, 2011 09:00

Ran into the same issue with bad capacitors, about 15 bulging , 3 leaking, ending up getting another board off Ebay for  the  short term." A" LED  blinked green to amber, B   solid amber C and D green, before post, intermittant startup but would not stay up but for a few minutes.

No Events found!