Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2011 13:00

Replace DVD-CD-RW drive on Inspiron 530

So the other day the dog's tail was wagging and it hit the eject button on my DVD drive, and the tray opened, unnoticed by anyone. A few minutes later, the daughter got up from the table and hit the tray with her shin, ripping the tray out of the unit. DOH!  So I know the tray will not go back in and work right after this, and a  new drive unit is in order. Since the face of the unit is behind a flip down cover, do I have to use a specific replacement, or will your average unit work for a replacement? I want to make sure the tray will eject properly through the outer flip down cover, and the outer eject button will line up with the one on the replacement drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 7th, 2011 14:00

3Stratman

You can use any SATA DVD/CD drives, similar to the drives shown HERE

I replaced my broken Inspiron 530 mt  DVD drive, with a SATA Liteon CD/DVD burner without any problems.

Bev.

13 Posts

January 20th, 2013 18:00

Bev - does your Inspiron have the door flap that flips open before the drive tray comes out?  I have that and need to replcace DVD drive, but want to make sure what i get will work with the flap.  thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 20th, 2013 19:00

bnewcol

"I just noticed this is a 24x writer, the one I have now is 16".   This should make no difference, as the drive will only write faster.

I believe it was, the original drive was a Dell factory part, that failed and replaced by a second DVD/RW by Dell under warranty and the second drive failed about a month after the warranty ended. 

Then I replaced this with a retail DVD/RW, purchased from www.newegg.com ,that is still working without any issues.

Bev. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

bnewcol

Yes, it does.

I purchased a retail and installed DVD/RW SATA drive, similar to the burner shown here,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

Bev.

13 Posts

I just noticed this is a 24x writer, the one I have now is 16.  Was your previous one a 16x?  Wondering if it will work if I get a different speed burner than the one I have now, if the rest of the system is ok with it.

13 Posts

OK, great!  New Egg it is, I love those guys!  Thank you Bev.

13 Posts

Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

bnewcol

You are welcome and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

13 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 15:00

Bev, how did you remove that drive?  I just tried, and it only slides about 1/2 inch and I cannot remove it any farther.  Mine is in the very top slot, with the fan on the back side so there is not a lot of room to move it about.  I don't have to replace it tho, good news, when trying to do whatever I did, it fixed the problem.  But I am curious how you got yours out, mine doesn't seem to want to come out. Had all the screws unscrewed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 17:00

bnewcol,

Open the case, disconnect the power and data cables from the drive, then remove the two screws holding the drive in the bay, remove the front bezel and slide the drive out.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

No Events found!