Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2017 14:00

Replacing xps 8300 PSU - How can I tell if new PSU has 4-pin for PWR2 on Motherboard?

Greetings!

I used to work for a PC shop (PC Warehouse) repairing computers so I know my way around inside a computer...but that was 10+ years ago.

My out-of-warranty Dell 8300 needs a new power supply.  USB and Graphic Board showing faults/not working.  I bought a generic power supply (Corsair CX Series, CX600, 600 Watt (600W) Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified ) and it arrived.

This power supply does NOT have a 4-pin plug for the PWR2 socket on the motherboard.  SO at this point, I am sunk and have to return the power supply.

Is there any way I can tell if a power supply lists a 4-pin plug?  Most power supplies listed on NewEgg, Amazon, Best Buys, etc. don't list the number or types of sockets that are included with their power supplies.

Any help would be welcomed.

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit
Eternal Newbie (it seems)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 6th, 2017 08:00

The EPS12v motherboard connector spits in 2 to allow for 4 pin.  This should NOT be confused with the 8 Pin PCI-E connector that Splits into 6 and 2.

15 Posts

December 5th, 2017 21:00

Half of the 8-pin "CPU" cable can plug into the PWR2 socket.

December 6th, 2017 09:00

Yeppers!

The PSU came with 2x4pin but they were "mal-manufactured".  They didn't split but were formed together.  I saw the two side-by-side clamps on it so I knew what it was.  I had to cut them apart...it was a "bug in the molding" issue.  I matched the keyed square/bullet shapes to the plug in the motherboard.  And it worked out well.

BTW, this PSU came with:  

• 1 x 20pin+4pin Main Power • 2 x 4-pin PWR2 • 1 x 3-Molex + 1 Floppy Drive Plug • 2 x 6pin+2pin (2 x 8pin) GPU • 2 x 3-plug SATA.

The dimensions matched the old 460watt PSU so it snapped right in.  I decided NOT to pay the extra $40 for a modular PSU since my case has a lot of empty space to the front and under the Hard Drives to put excess cabling.  Took about 15 minutes to swap it out.  It is just a quiet as the original and I am happy.

My system is 7 years old, the motherboard bios/chipset doesn't support newer GPUs...only 2.0...so any GPU upgrade would be 2 years newer maximum (2012-13 manufacturing dates).  I don't have the needs of top-of-the-line for the games/applications I run! -)

Thanks for the replies!

TQQdles™

No Events found!