Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2017 18:00

Ryzen 1700x NEVER goes above 3.40 GHz - why?

I have never had my Ryzen 1700X go above 3.40GHz on my new Dell Inspiron 5675.

Is there something holding it back? I've tried many times pushing the CPU from Cinebench, Premiere Pro video editing, games, etc. I think I saw a 3.43GHz once.

I also have the latest AMD Chip set. And Ryzen Master.

I really feel it has to do with Dell's locked down BIOS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

September 5th, 2017 13:00

Where/what app are you seeing the CPU speed? And what is it typically at? Also have you messed with any of Windows power settings? 

Best regards,

Brad

17 Posts

September 5th, 2017 16:00

Im wondering as well, as i'm waiting on the system to arrive myself. 3.4Gnz is the base clock speed of the cpu but it's supposed to boost through xfr up to 3.8, or oc up to 3.8. Both are possible with this chip, and it is what's advertised on the 5675 with this chip, base 3.4, boost 3.8. Some are saying that Dell has locked the bios down to where it will not go up, but some are also saying they've gotten the boost when needed but only after getting the newest bios update. Seems *** to me that Dell would gimp the capabilities of a Gaming computer with this powerful a chip, but then again alot say Dell doesn't like overclocking, maybe because Dell puts in lower than should be included PSU's. 3.4 is okay, but it's a gaming computer, the full capabilites including overclock should be allowed.

17 Posts

September 5th, 2017 16:00

I've seen this elsewhere as well, as i have the desktop coming in. Either they have it locked down tight in the bios, as they dont like overclocking, or the bios is preventing boost. I've seen another post with this problem, but they then got the newest bios and it started to boost when it needed to. I'm okay with 3.4, i'm not okay with them advertising 3.8 when it wont boost or overclock. They need to free up the bios, or replace mobo's with one's capable of using the chips to fullest. But as this will be my second comp, i'm okay with 3.4Ghz. Kinda funny they proclaim "upgrade ability, gaming, expandability" when they've locked the bios to the point the chip isnt fully used though. In addition to including a 460w psu? Expandability my ***.

13 Posts

September 6th, 2017 09:00

I measured the clock speed with Tase Manager which just rounds off to 3.4 GHz and also CPU-Z which shows the speed 3492.92MHz (see image). I also have the latest BIOS 1.2.3

I have been doing alot of benchmarks because I am working on a YouTube video of the Dell Inspiron 5675 speeds.  I have benchmarks from Cinebenchm, 3D Mark, PassMark, Futuremark, Geekbench, Novabench and Userbenchmar so far. Is there another benchmark program that you would recomment to tell the CPU speeds? THANK YOU! Steve

13 Posts

September 6th, 2017 11:00

OK about CPU-Z, then recommend what problem YOU do use for measuring speeds.

You did read that I am also using WIndows Task Manager, is that not accurate also?

I need as much real info as possible for my YouTube video -

Thank you for the help!

Steve

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 6th, 2017 11:00

Max Turbo Frequency 3.8 GHz  is theoretic and based on IDLE cpu.  As use and cores go up the speed goes down.  CPU-Z is known for false positives as far as speed and is NOT supported by Dell.

On Non Dell Motherboards by increasing CPU voltage up to 1.46V from the ‘auto’ setting of 1.34V  you may get up to 3.8GHz .

I don't know that Dell has overclocking settings in bios for Ryzen.

September 6th, 2017 13:00

By using the ryzen master software my 5675 did overclock to 3.8 steady at 1.33 volts. I ran cinibench and got almost 1600 score on overclock but it gets 1512 stock, the added heat was not worth the extra above stock. I have the Dell watercooling option that includes front case fan and vrm heatsinks, but the cooler fan never ramps up much past lowest setting which is 519 from 1250 max.

13 Posts

September 7th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Wecelliot, I was about to post that I can use Ryzen Master at 3.7 and get 3.7.

System crashes at 3.8 for me. I tried to raise the voltage. I'll try your settings.

My stock Cinebench score was 1507 to 1524, Then with the G.Skill memory I get 1546 to 1560

These are with NO overclocking.

Thank you,

13 Posts

September 7th, 2017 08:00

WELL, at 3.8 at 1.33 volts, I got 1670 in Cinebench, BUT then when I reran it, the computer when blank.

Should I raise the voltage? I think I might do be play with the G.Skill Fortis memory.

Thanks

September 24th, 2017 13:00

If you install Ryzen Master from AMD and just run it at stock speed it will show the speed increasing on one or two cores at idol, the core reading go to 3.8 and sometimes one goes to the 3.9xfr readings.So i guess in use the speed adjusts to the load auto.

1 Message

October 7th, 2017 10:00

Hey folks. I just got a new Dell with the Ryzen 7 1700. It's listed as 3.00 GHz with "precision boost" to 3.7 GHz. I'm curious about overclocking. Possibly newbie questions:

-Do I need to install overclocking software like AMD Ryzen Master in order to get the processor to go above 3.00 GHz?

-Will I void my warranty with Dell by running Ryzen Master?

13 Posts

October 7th, 2017 19:00

When I need a boost for video editing I load up Ryzan master and set it to 3.8 - Works.

17 Posts

October 25th, 2017 02:00

Wish Dell would just allow full access, but that means they'd have to put extra work into the mobo, beyond basic, maybe a little extra juice. If they'd made the case fan size 120, we could use ANY aio liquid cooler, but nope. Oh well. Still mine is currently sitting at 3.5 avg, good enough, would be nice to get max potential out of the system.

Now rant time. The 5675 needs a FARRRR better PSU, these are the bad 460w they've recycled from the Aurora's to the 5675, they just aren't good enough. Still, overall i'm happy with the system, just gotta plan for extra improvements. Can't wait to see Zen2, for upgraded base speeds since AM4 SHOULD be the platform through to 2019/2020 at least, baring AMD decding to pull an Intel and screw us. Coffee Lake has been a bad "launch" for Intel, the current mobo's for it aren't the actual mobo's, so in another couple months the ACTUAL mobo's drop. if Zen2 can deliver on ipc improvements they're targeting, on same chipset...oooooooooo.

No Events found!