Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2010 14:00

Solid Amber power light computer won't boot Dell Inpiron 530

Good afternoon, couple of days ago my computer which is not paid off yet and out of warranty went into a no boot with a soiid Amber light. When I cracked open the case I found my cpu fan was nearly frozen very stiff to turn. I cleaned it out but now curious if my cpu died or the PSU? The interesting part if I unplug all external perpherals from the computer and test it get the solid amber light and on the back by the PSU the green light is out as soon as I turn on the power. If I unplug the power let the system discharge then plug the power back in before turning on the power the green light on the PSU is lit.

Does this sound like a PSU issue? Could it be the CPU? I'm getting no post beeps or anything powering up. Also is this a specialized PSU or can I use any standard ATX PSU this is in a mid tower. The service code is <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>.

Thank you for anyone's help in advance just frustrating making payments on a paperweight.

Sincerely,

Jouster

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 7th, 2010 14:00

jouster_lj

Does the processor heatsink fan rotate freely?

Does the power supply fan work?

A solid amber power light indicates there may be a power problem or an internal device malfunction.

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: A power supply with four SATA power connectors, is required.

The power supply replacement procedure is HERE 

Bev.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2010 12:00

Thank you for the reply..

The processor heatsink fan was very stiff to rotate but that has now been rectified and is cleaned up and lubed to rotate freely.

The power supply fan does not work

I do have a ATX power supply 400 W but for EIDE not SATA. Perhaps I could simply just try the power supply to see if it would at least fire up the board then I know for sure it's a PSU issue.?

Thank you for any additional ideas.

Jouster

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 8th, 2010 13:00

jouster_lj

As the power supply fan is not working, I would suggest that you replace the power supply, as a 'know' working unit is needed.

Bev.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2010 16:00

Thank you for the suggestion Bev, this was more than just a power supply issue. After extending my warranty the onsite Dell Tech ended up having to replace power supply, memory, cpu, cpu fan, video card, and power switch assembly. The parts arrived within a day and the technician replaced it the next day. For those people who are giving Dell a bad wrap don't listen to them. The sales associate was very helpful when called for spare parts, the tech chat the night I talked to tech was very professional and understanding and had the parts ordered and delivered that night. The onsite tech who replaced the parts was professional, very friendly and very effecient. High marks all around. Thank you again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 19th, 2010 17:00

jouster_lj

You are welcome.

Happy to hear that the problem is fixed and it's great to hear about the excellent service Dell provided.    :emotion-21:

Bev.

1 Message

May 19th, 2011 11:00

I had the same problem.

but both the fans ran and also the hard drive.

What do you thinks was the issue? Power supply. I checked all the connection to the main board and still solid amber light.

on the back of the power supply was a green led that was lit though.

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 16:00

I wish I had good news for you in my case I ended up having to renew my warranty and they replaced everything but motherboard, they replaced video card,  cpu, memory, power supply, just about everything except for the case itself and the hard drive. In fact because someone did not report the motherboard fan was not working they ended up having to replace it all once again including motherboard. It was fast service and done by local tech service which is certified with Dell. For the cost of the warranty renewal and what was replaced it was definitely worth it. The cost of main board cpu fan itself was half the cost of renewal.

1 Message

July 18th, 2017 09:00

My Dell minitower is having the same issue.. granted I replaced the power supply, motherboard, added a graphics card and tried my best to buff the old optiplex 360 up.. but I'm still getting an orange (amber) light on the power button, and it won't even be detected by the screen im using.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 18th, 2017 12:00

Solid Amber Power On Button = DEAD Motherboard.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en#two

Off

Blinking Amber Solid Amber Solid Green Blinking Green
Off Blinking Amber Solid Amber Solid Green Blinking Green
The computer does not appear to get power from the Power Source. The PSU is receiving power from the Source, but is unable to distribute it. The PSU is working, but the system doesn't process data. The system processes data and has begun POST tests. (See the diagnostic LEDs at this point) The system is in a hibernate or sleep sta

No Events found!