Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2007 16:00

Sound won't work on new pc

just received and set up my new dell and it works fine, except the sound. I have speakers and a sub-woofer. I have plugged it all in as specified, (speaker jack into integrated sound card, subwoofer into mains etc). Power light on speaker is on, volumes controls are on.  Sounds option on Control panel is set to on, not mute. However no sound icon has appeared on toolbar and no sound emerges from the speakers at any stage. I have tried restarting and that makes no difference. Anyone got any suggestions?

Dimension C521 running windows XP sp2.

Usignuolo

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 19th, 2007 17:00

Most likely the sound drivers did not get installed correctly when the PC was first started.  Uninstall the SigmaTel sound in the Windows (Visa) Device Manager, then restart the PC.  When Vista starts it should detect and reinstall the sound.  If that doesn't fix it, time to call Dell since it's a new system.

This thread will probably be moved by a Dell moderator since you didn't follow the Dell notice at the top of this section to NOT post Audio questions here.  There is an Audio section for posting audio questions.

Message Edited by fireberd on 08-19-2007 02:29 PM

27 Posts

August 21st, 2007 23:00

looks like your missing the    netvol.reg file.  if you google it you might find it there. i had the same problem a year ago and i downloaded it from the net. when downloaded you right click the file after scanning it for viruses and click merge. that will restore your sound. hope it helps. if i can find the correct site for the file ill post it here.                       Dimension C521 running windows XP sp2

Message Edited by samsqwanch on 08-21-2007 07:30 PM

click this site and download to you documents and then right click the file and click merge. thats it you should have to restart pc and the sound should be back..                                       http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/netvol.reg

Message Edited by samsqwanch on 08-21-2007 07:39 PM

Message Edited by samsqwanch on 08-21-2007 07:39 PM
No Events found!