Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

December 24th, 2008 08:00

Upgrade to Vista w/ RAID1

I have a Dimension E150 with RAID1 mirroring.  It is currently running Windows XP, and I would like to rebuild my box with Windows Vista.  (Based on previously experiences, I want to rebuild my box, not just upgrade it).  Normally, on a box w/o RAID1 mirroring, I would just backup all my data, format the drive, insert the Windows Vista CD and reinstall everything.

Do I need to do anything different because I am using RAID1?

Thanks.

Tom

1.3K Posts

December 24th, 2008 11:00

You should download the RAId 1 Pre-OS driver and Intel Storage Matrix Storage controller from the Dell site or you can find it on the Intel site.   YOu can burn the Pre-OS driver to a disc and load it shortly after booting off the OS CD when you install Vista.

I would break the RAID 1 before Installing Vista.   This way you have a copy of all your data and can copy it to the vista OS drive once you install vista.   To break the array just press CTL I shortly after powering up the system.  You get a warning about loosing all the data bout you basicall y will have 2 disk with exactly the same contents.

After breaking the array set the boot disk to be SATA 0.  Also need to add the DVD/CD to the order to boot of the Vista DVD.

After you get vista installed install the following in this order. 

Chiip set driver.    (Dell)
Video Card.    (Cand download from vendor or Dell)
Sound card (Dell,Vendor)
Network card (Dell)
Any othe device needing driver

Install Intel Matric Storage controler.

Copy any data from the other STAT drive to your Vista Driver

Migrate to RAID 1 using Intel Storage Controler there will be an option to migrate.

Install all the Vista SP1
Install all the Window updates.

4 Posts

December 24th, 2008 16:00

TomXPS,

Thanks for the quick reply.  One followup question:

>>YOu can burn the Pre-OS driver to a disc and load it shortly after booting off the OS CD when you install Vista.

When does this step occur?  Do I start to install Vista from DVD, then somewhere it will ask me to install and Pre OS Drivers?

I don't recall an option like this Vista starts, (maybe I just forgot).

Thanks again.

This will be my Christmas vacation project.

Happy Holidays.

Tom

935 Posts

December 25th, 2008 06:00

I think he means the SATA RAID Driver (pre OS driver). You can put it on a thumb drive or CD or floppy. When you choose your drive and partition to install Vista, there are additional options to choose. One is to load additional drivers. You would select that option and load the SATA RAID driver. Similar to XP's installed when you press F6, but nicer in Vista since you can use a thumb drive.

No Events found!