Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

September 10th, 2008 04:00

Vostro 200 - adding PCI video card - Nvidia 6200, amber light on power button

Hello,

My Vostro 200 Mini-tower came with a pre-installed Dell ATI 3650 PCI-E x16 video card.  Everything works fine with 2 monitors attached to it.  I need to add a third monitor, so I bought a Nvidia 6200 PCI video card.  I installed it and now, the computer will not turn on, just an amber light. 

I remove the Nvidia 6200 video card, everything works again.  Someone who's knowledgeable, please help!!!   All I want is to add a third monitor to my setup.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.  Thank you.

12.1K Posts

September 10th, 2008 08:00

You cannot add one ATI card and one nVidia card to the mix.  You will have a driver issue so its wise to only have either two nVidia or two ATI cards only, not one ATI and one nVidia.

Others will respond as well

Message Edited by SR45 on 09-10-2008 05:28 AM

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

September 10th, 2008 12:00

I would agree with SR45 about the driver conflicts.

However, that wouldn't come up till after the OS booted. The amber powerbutton indicates that the videocard is bad, it's taking more power than the PCI slot can provide, or it's not 100% compatible with the system.

I'd suggest looking at something like this. These are PCI-based ATI cards that are pretty close to the same family as your PCIe card, so it's most likely that it can share the exact same driver for a while to come.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2008 16:00

Thanks for the responses!  I agree with both you regarding potential driver conflicts by having an ATI and Nvidia card in the same system, but I've actually never encountered any major problems with that.  Another older system (Dim9150) has a ATI X600 PCI-E and Nvidia FX5200 installed running quad-monitors with no problems.

However, Dev Mgr has a good point about the card being potentially defective, so I tried it out on another system.  Looks like it is defective and is being returned now.  Thanks for the tips on the ATI 2400Pro, I'll be looking into getting on those instead, just to be safe. 

One more question though, is the Vostro 200's mainboard and power supply capable of handling a ATI 3650 PCI-E and another ATI 2400Pro PCI card, together in the same system?  Or put more simply, has anyone got a Vostro 200 to work with a PCI-E video card and a PCI video card at the same time?  Thanks!

No Events found!