Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2011 08:00

Vostro 230 No Audio Device

We're currently working on a Dell Vostro 230 (Windows 7 32-bit) desktop that is having an issue with the audio chipset. No audio device shows up in device manager. The computer also does not register any PCI card in either expansion slot. Diagnostics on the system show no faults. Out of curiosity we installed a copy of Windows XP and the issue still persists.

I have a feeling that it is a motherboard issue, but I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue before and if there is a fix.

5 Posts

November 6th, 2011 09:00

Additional info: upon attempted reinstallation of Windows 7 we are getting an error.

0xc00000e9

"An unexpected I/O error has occured"

Pressing ENTER to continue allows the Windows install to proceed, but I have to assume this error has some bearing on the audio and PCI issue.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 6th, 2011 10:00

I can't get into the Dell support site to check on what hardware this model has.  But, it should have the Integrated (on the motherboard) audio chip, probably either SigmaTel/IDT or RealTek.

That error can be a BIOS/device error or even a hard drive error.  See THIS   Depending on how corrupt things are on the hard drive, it may take a complete new install (including reformatting the hard drive) to get everything corrected.

Back to the sound.  The first thing is to make sure it's enabled in the BIOS (F2 Setup).  It may be labeled "Legacy Audio" in the BIOS.

Windows 7, usually will install any needed device drivers and motherboard chipset drivers.  However, the sound drivers that Windows installs (if any were installed) will not work or work correctly and only the Dell sound drivers will work correctly.  Usually, on a Win 7 install if a device is missing or corrupt Win 7 will still install and just that the device(s) will not work. 

5 Posts

November 6th, 2011 12:00

We have done two formats on the drive and the error code still persists (only when booting from a Windows install disk, the error does not show during a normal boot). The drive shows no errors in diagnostics programs and seems to perform flawlessly. Other than the audio/PCI issue the computer runs error-free.

Legacy Audio is definitely enabled in BIOS.

As for drivers, that's the least of the worries at the moment. No sound or even unknown devices show up in Device Manager for either the onboard audio or any PCI cards.

1 Message

November 7th, 2011 06:00

I have a Dell Vostro 460 (small business) with no sound. Dell replaced the motherboard twice and the front jacks once (why?) and nothing helped. Obviously we updated and re-installed all drivers first. They stopped contacting me to try to solve the issue. This is my first Dell after owning HP for 20 years. Today I've been reading about similar issues in Dell, HP and Compaq running windows 7. I can't find a solution yet but don't waste your time replacing the motherboard.

No Events found!