Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 14th, 2006 15:00

XPS - Desktop with AMD processors due in 2006 ?

Greetings !

If I remember correctly Dell signed a deal with AMD to start using their processors. Has anybody read any articles indicating when Dell plans to roll out the first computers using the AMD processors?

I plan to purchase a new gaming computer this Spring(2006). That plan includes a new system with dual AMD processors. Intel...well they have fallen behind AMD for the past 1.5 - 2 years. Perhaps Intel will make a comeback by 2007 with better/faster processors that can compete with the AMD processors. The better "bang for the buck" is AMD....thus my interest in asking the question.

It would help in my decision making process to have a "rough idea" when Dell plans to roll out desktops with the AMD processors. I like Dell products a great deal and would prefer to purchase one of their products. Of course when it comes to my gaming desktop--I must go with a company that is using AMD.

Thanks

-Mentho-

12.1K Posts

March 14th, 2006 17:00

@Mentho wrote:
Greetings !

If I remember correctly Dell signed a deal with AMD to start using their processors. Has anybody read any articles indicating when Dell plans to roll out the first computers using the AMD processors?

I plan to purchase a new gaming computer this Spring(2006). That plan includes a new system with dual AMD processors. Intel...well they have fallen behind AMD for the past 1.5 - 2 years. Perhaps Intel will make a comeback by 2007 with better/faster processors that can compete with the AMD processors. The better "bang for the buck" is AMD....thus my interest in asking the question.

Intel will surpass AMD in about 4 months.......

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4843&page=1

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4843&page=3   Intels Conroe chip

Or this bit of news to be taken with a small grain of salt at this moment until it is verified  ( Dell buys Alienware http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6464030.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR Memory
20 Gb hard drive 7,200
Windows XP Home - SP-2
Leadtek 6600 GT
48xCDRW
17 LCD ( 1703 FP )
250 watt power supply

Message Edited by SR45 on 03-14-2006 03:58 PM

5 Posts

March 14th, 2006 21:00

I heard some bits and pieces about Intel's new chip "Conroe." However, in my view Intel has been asleep at the switch for a long time and permitted AMD to blow right by them. As a result I lost  confidence with Intel.

It is going to take a long time for me to return to Intel at this point, confidence/trust is earned over time with me. More then likely AMD will have newer/faster chips four months from now. Which is why I like AMD...they keep improving on their technology. So for now...I do not mind the early comparisions test results showing Intel's Conroe beating out AMD's top chips.

I am sticking with AMD for now. When Intel has shown some sustained effort in offering quality chips over at least a one year period. I will take note and consider an Intel chip at that time.

Appreiciate the information your provided.  Thanks !

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2006 21:00

I would agree that there are two major questions:

Will the production Conroe live up to the pre-release testing?

and

Can Intel produce the CPU in volume?

They're been releasing CPUs that don't live up to pre-release, and which are hard to produce, leading to scarcities for months or longer - for a while now.

I would not hold my breath.

1 Rookie

• 

78 Posts

March 14th, 2006 22:00

Last few articles I've read speculated Dell would start shipping boxes with an AMD, but others have said there is no plan to change.  Go figure.

Oddly enough, Dell sells AMD processors.  I wonder if they're OE in their servers?

91 Posts

March 15th, 2006 03:00

Intel has learnt from past mistakes. AMD has truly waken up the sleeping giant.

Also they were, according to many previewers of Conroe, very conservative when releasing info about Conroe which makes me think that if anything it will be better than originally anticipated, especially having a few months to tweak final production spec.

As much as I like AMD and think its great for competition and consumers, I think the next round belongs to Intel. As such, I think Dell would be more reluctant than ever to begin shipping AMD based machines.

Edited for spelling.

Message Edited by ATC7 on 03-14-2006 11:51 PM

12.1K Posts

March 15th, 2006 18:00

Dell is not purchasing Alienware

http://news.com.com/Dell+downplays+Alienware+acquisition+rumor/2100-1003_3-6049853.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR Memory
20 Gb hard drive 7,200
Windows XP Home - SP-2
Leadtek 6600 GT
48xCDRW
17 LCD ( 1703 FP )
250 watt power supply

Message Edited by SR45 on 03-15-2006 04:00 PM

No Events found!