Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2009 11:00

XPS Gen 5: How to Upgrade Motherboard and CPU (upgrade to 64-bit) for Video Editing

I bought my XPS Gen 5 back in June 2005 and I'm looking to upgrade rather than buy a whole new system.  What I'd like to do is be able to use more than the current 3GB max. of RAM and beef up my processing power to an Intel Core 2 Quad processor.  I know that in order for my computer to support more than 3GB of RAM I need to have a 64-bit system.

The main reason for the upgrade is that I'm looking to do more video editing and playing around with Adobe After Effects CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4.

Is there any way that my Dell XPS Gen 5 can do this?  Or is my system like other Dell computers out there that only support Dell motherboards and so forth?  I'm not looking to buy through Dell either----I'd most likely buy from NewEgg.com.

My Basic, Current System Specs:

• Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz
  • 3GB RAM
  • 250GB Harddrive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 256-bit Graphics Card

482 Posts

March 16th, 2009 12:00

Hello scottjohnson717,

The XPS Gen 5 has the proprietary Dell MOBO format, so it will be a lot of work to replace the MOBO with a retail board.  The Dell board looks like the BTX form, the retail boards tend to be micro-ATX, ATX and Extended ATX.  In addition to the MOBO you would be looking at a new power supply and new RAM as well as a new processor.  My guess is that you can build a whole new rig or buy a new rig cheaper than to modify the Gen 5.

My best advice would be to look for another system rather than trying to put a new MOBO, but if you have lots of time and feel the urge to modify your system then go for it.

Best,

Darrell WV

March 16th, 2009 13:00

Thanks Darrell WV.  Your answer was very helpful. :emotion-21:

September 30th, 2012 23:00

Can a Dell XPS gen 5 be upgraded to a Dell XPS 730X motherboard , it  looks to me like if my board is bad I could use a BTX form board from that model in my Dell XPS gen 5 . Is that not possible ? Well since my mother-board is bad.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

October 1st, 2012 06:00

Hi oldsailor 1,

As the architecture and compatibility of both the motherboards are different replacing the motherboard for XPS GEN 5 with XPS 730X is not possible. The motherboard for XPS 730X is designed for a Dozer, ATX chassis and the XPS GEN 5 system uses a Metropolex chassis.

August 31st, 2013 17:00

thanks good answer much appreciated by us old dell users

No Events found!