Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 14th, 2006 02:00

error at check point (PnP4)

I have a dimension 4600 and i am having trouble with it booting up and freezing.

sometimes when i turn it on the screen doesnt even go on. other times i get it to the windows XP and the system soon after freezes.

sometimes after multiple failed attempts at rebooting i get the message "error at checkpoint (PnP4) occured on previous attempts to boot"

Does anybody know what could be causing this problem and what i can do to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated

July 14th, 2006 15:00

no one has any ideas on how to fix this

31 Posts

July 16th, 2006 06:00

as far as my research goes, the checkpoint PnP4 on Dell Computers refers to Video Initalization. so you can start by reseating your video card if you have one and then clearing the CMOS of your computer. you can also run a diagnostics for the Video Card and the Motherboard.  you can also try to uninstall then reinstall the video driver. btw, whats the status of the Lights on your computer?

July 17th, 2006 12:00

last time i checked when it froze up while it was booting the status lights were all green.  ok ill try running some of the tests and see if anything shows up wrong first.  ill post again after i run the tests and check the status lights again 

thanks

July 18th, 2006 01:00

it froze today while it was booting up and the status lights (ABCD) were all green. I had it running for a few hours without freezing but when i opened up my internet browers it froze. After it froze there i restarted and it froze while booting up.
No Events found!