Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2010 02:00

no audio output device is installed on inspiron desktop 530

Hi,

I purchased the above machine some months ago and I have never been able to get sound. The warning message from the icon is "no audio output device is installed".

Any idea how I can overcome this problem? I bought the machine from Tescos and it has Vista windows.

Cheers

Leon

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 4th, 2010 03:00

Which sound does this have?  The basic integrated (on the motherboard) audio and the sound I/O jacks on the rear of the PC's motherboard I/O Panel or do you have an optional SoundBlaster sound card (I/O jacks are located in the lower expansion section).

For the integrated audio, several possibilites.  (1) The integrated Audio is disabled in the BIOS (setup that can be accessed by F2 at boot up).  (2) Drivers for the audio need reinstalling.  HERE is the Dell downloads for the 530 and Vista 32 bit.  There are two Realtek drivers listed depending on which version of the 530 you have.  I would suspect this is a later model and the Realtek driver for the 530/A/B/C/D is the applicable driver.  However if that one does not work or work correctly you can install the older driver.

If you have the optional SoundBlaster sound card there drivers listed there for these models too. 

5 Posts

February 4th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

I have plugged in headphones and the warning about the output device disappears. I now get the message  about Reyaltek High definition audio when I run the mouse over the icon.

But still no sound. Tried all the tests but no good. Tried the F2 setup but couldn't see anything of value. Do you think I should download the older Reyaltec driver?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 4th, 2010 11:00

If you have Vista or Windows 7, go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound and make sure your speakers are set as the default Playback device. 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 4th, 2010 13:00

Silly question--does he have any speakers attached? If the headphones work, it might mean there are no speakers. He might not realize the computer has no internal speakers for sound. Since Dell stopped including speakers with their computers, this question comes up every so often.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2010 13:00

Yes you are right. I checked it out and it say that I have no speakers attached. I am not technically minded -- how do I get sound and how do i install speakers? The headphones don't actually emit sound BTW

Cheers

Leon

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 4th, 2010 15:00

Ouch!  You need Analog Powered computer speakers - these are speakers that have thier own built in power amplifier. 

HERE is an example of 2.1 stereo speakers.  2.1 speakers have one connection to the PC sound card and that is to the GREEN speaker jack on the rear of the PC.

5 Posts

February 5th, 2010 01:00

Many thanks, I didn't understand that I needed these speakers I thought that everything was already built into the computer. I will go and buy the speakers you recommended.

Cheers

Leon

1 Message

February 11th, 2012 12:00

Fireberd, you saved the day for me. I had tried to install audio drivers up to a point without success.   I was about convinced my sound chip had gone bad and I read your post above.  I downloaded the Realtek driver and I got sound back!

Thank you so much.

No Events found!