Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2009 07:00

no log on and off sounds dimention 3000 (XP HOME)

Hello,
Can anyone help!....I have no log on or off sounds also when I play streaming video I get the video but no audio.I have tried all the suggestions posted so far and still no audio.No yellow marks in device manager,no red x either all sound devices apear to be functioning correctly.I did diagnostics with dxdiag and all sounds ok.I went in to sounds and audio devices,properties clicked on audio,under sound playback is:soundmax digital audio,checked volume all ok ( by the way ,I uninstalled soundmax and re installed it from dell"s download site ) I have tried to follow instructions from microsoft and dells support sites as to how to get my log on and off sounds back but there is a problem.According to them I should open my sounds and audio devices,click on sounds and under program events pick any of them such as asterisk and click the play symbol beside it,however the symbol is not highlited and can not be clicked.My system is a dell dimention 3000 and iam running windows xp home,if any one has a similar problem and found a solution please respond.P.S I can play a dvd or cd and no problem, also I can play all the songs I have in My I tunes without any audio problems.oNE MORE ITEM,THE LITTLE VOLUME ICON THET USED TO BE AT THE BUTTOM RIGHT OF THE SCREEN IS GONE,EVEN THOUGH THE LITTLE BOX IN SOUND DEVICES IS CHECKED.i AM HOPING SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM AND SOLVED IT.(I am not very computer savy so if you have an answer please make it simple  thank you).+

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 11th, 2009 08:00

It sounds like Windows XP is corrupted and the reason for the partial sound problems.

See THIS  Microsoft article on restoring the Volume Control Icon.

After you get the Volume Control icon restored, open the Volume Control panel and check the section for WAV playback and make sure it's not muted and the volume control slider is NOT in the down (off) position.  This MAY get your sounds back.

March 11th, 2009 10:00

I followed the instructions on how to get the volume icon back on the task bar but I keep getting the message: Can't open input file sndvol32.ex_.I inserted the operating system cd that came with my dimention 3000 xp home edition,held the shift key down as instructed and followed method 2,(as the volume icon is allready checked but will not show on the task bar)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 12th, 2009 04:00

About the only other thing I can suggest is to try the XP Repair procedure.  This is similar to reinstalling Windows XP - you boot from the Windows XP CD, however instead of reinstalling you select the "Repair" option.  This will restore any missing or corrupted Operating System files.  When you do the Repair, if the CD is older than the Windows XP Service Pack you have now it will tell you that it is older, but use that anyway and then you will have to download and install the Windows XP service pack again.  If the Repair doesn't work you are looking at a complete reinstall. I don't think Dell was installing "Recovery Partitons" on the hard drives when those PC's were dold, but you can check - CTRL/F12 will access the recovery partiton if you have one, and if you decide to do a complete reinstall and you have this partiton it will automatically reload your PC back to the original Factory condition (and no CD's are needed).

No Events found!