Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2009 12:00

power button flashing yellow, cant switch on

hi all,

have a problem with my Dimension 5150 - when I press the power button, it spends ages flashing yellow but the machine wont switch on. this started about 10 days ago, and used to take a few minutes before it would eventually switch on (after much pressing), but now sits there flashing all day! its been flashing for about 24hrs now, and wont switch on (im on my work laptop at the moment).

any ideas?

Andy

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2009 12:00

andyathome

First, open the case and check that all the power and data cables are properly connected to the drives and motherboard.

A blinking amber power button LED could mean a power supply or motherboard failure.

As a power supply costs less than the motherboard, that's the first part to replace.

Dell's E510/D5150 diagnostic guide and troubleshooter is HERE.

5150/E510 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most generic ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector.

As the D-5150/E510 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used and can be purchased from most local or online computer stores.

A power supply with a minimum of two SATA power connectors is needed.

Bev.

No Events found!