Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

July 9th, 2013 07:00

Replacing server with DiskXtender Installed

Hello, I am new to DiskXtender and we have a server that I would like to replace. Due to the time a P2V would take we will be building new and migrating. The old server has DiskXtender installed so my question is how can I make sure the data sitting on the centera is also moved to the new server along with the local data? If using something like robo copy or another sync tool will it take everything? How also can I tell how much space on the centera is being used for the volumes being watched by Xtender? The new server will most likely not have Xtender installed.

Thanks for any help/information.

July 9th, 2013 23:00

I assume you have installed DiskXtender for Windows(DXW) on a physical server and now you are moving to a VM.
Please note, data archived through DXW will be residing in the Centera and DXW server will only have stubs(pointers) to that data sitting in Centera. There is nothing like moving centera data to a new server(unless you are moving to new Centera cluster).

You can use Server2Server migration or EDMigrator utility to copy data and settings from P2V. Since you are new it would be better to take help of support or professional services for this.

Sreenidhi

14 Posts

July 10th, 2013 12:00

Correct we are replacing the physical windows server with a VM. But we do not want to P2V. The physical server has some things we don't want to bring along so we are building a new VM and will use something like robocopy, etc. to move the data to the new server before cut over.

No Events found!