Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2013 13:00

Latitude E6440 Driver issues after imaging (SCCM OSD)

Hi All, 

I was not sure where to turn anymore, as this issue I have been experiencing does not seem to be solvable by Dells customer service reps yet. I figured I would give this forum a try since it has helped me in the past. 

My Current setup: I am using SCCM 2007 to image all Dell computers for the last 2 years. My task sequences are simple and efficient for our needs. I am able to image Optiplex 745, 755, 960, 990, 9010, 9020, 9030 and Latitude E6400, E6410, E6420, E6430s without an issue. I use the driver CAB files located here on this site, inject them into SCCM Driver package process and based of a simple query, the drivers get installed on the correct model. 

Everything was working fine and dandy until we heard that we could not get the E6430's anymore. We decided to get a test model for the next version E6440, so we can image and check out drivers etc. Standard operating procedure. After battling with a few imaging issues (needed new driver framework injected into .WIM), I was able to successfully get the computer to behave like all of our other models. When I log into the machine, I am bombarded with the following warnings:

It happens every time I log into the machine these pop up. It doesn't matter if I uncheck the "always ask" or click next. It happens for every user as well, about 8 or 9 in total. I know I can remove these in the RUN registry directory, but I do not want my workstation techs to do that. These drivers have been "touch free" for all other models in the past.

So after speaking with Dell Chat Rep, he said that the CAB's may not be bug free as of yet. Has anyone seen this behavior before? Is there anything that can be done to help continue automation on this? Was there a major overhaul with these models? Is this really a driver issue? I have 600+ laptops that will be ordered soon, I want to ensure they are spotless!!

the following items are noted in the pop-ups:

IGFXTRAY.exe

HKEMD.EXE

IGFXPERS.exe

REALTEKAUDIO.exe

DELLTPAD

Thanks for all the help in advance. 

Mike.

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 06:00

It seems like they are going to update the cabs to a new version in January, which may fix the problem. Since they have discontinued production on the E6430s, it doesnt allow me for much time however. I have been lucky to be in contact with a higher tier support agent from Dell, I will post findings after we tinker.  

1 Message

December 3rd, 2013 06:00

I have exactly the same scenario ..incredibly identical - but I just called Dell and they can still ship out 6430's, so I'm buying a few, and then sort this 6440 problems in the new year.

1.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 11:00

E6440 Win7 cab was updated on 11/30.  I haven't heard of any E6440 cab issues besides the KMDF 1.11 issues that are addressed with a Microsoft update.  If you don't have the KMDF 1.11 update included in your build, you will have issues.

Get the new cab here -> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/4963.latitude-e6440-windows-7-driver-cab.aspx

5 Posts

December 4th, 2013 11:00

Thank you Warren. I was able to change the drivers around in my driver package with the new CAB. Updated all distrobution points, imaged my test laptop sucesfully. My After logging in I was presented with the same "pop-ups" as before. They come up everytime I log in.

I cross checked all driver version numbers with the CAB Delta Report, they look good. I also double checked the KMDF 1.11 update, looks good as well. UAC is set to Never Notify,

I was able to speak with the Dell rep today, and he seemed to think it was a driver signing issue. he mentioned that if I were to take a look at the driver signatures, they would most likely be expired, and Windows 7 64bit is fairly sensative to this. In the meantime, he had mentioned to try using the 6430 drivers as most componants are the same besides the video and network cards. He is going to test deployment on SCCM 2007 and 2012 to see what results he is getting. I will update in a few days.  

January 9th, 2014 20:00

Hi ,

The "Open File - Security Warning" pop up  can be resolved by using streams tool.  Find the below example to use streams.exe

Eg:

To resolve the issue for "REALTEKAUDIO.exe" use this command "streams.exe /d REALTEKAUDIO.exe"

Please go through the below link it will be helpful,
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/11/12/open-file-security-warning-prompt-during-deployment.aspx

Note: Try the above command on test laptop before trying it in all laptops

5 Posts

January 30th, 2014 12:00

John,

Check out the link below. It has helped me find out which driver is the one that works before uploading and injecting into my boot image.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO9542

Hope it helps.

6 Posts

Hi Mike,

You mention that you managed to inject the drivers successfully into the task sequence. So far I cannot get the correct NIC driver into my boot.wim image. It keeps failing at the Task sequence step - 'Applying network settings' just after I PXE boot then it simply reboots the PC. I F8 at this step and no network settings are present so I know it's a NIC driver issue.

I have tried 7 different windows 7 64-bit drivers and no luck. Strangely if I build the PC manually and install the same driver that fails it works fine!! So far Dell support cannot resolve even after getting me to revert the BIOS to A01.

Can you thrown any light on what NIC driver you used and how you applied it during your task sequence?

Many thanks in advance,

John

6 Posts

Will do and thanks.

Still seems crazy that the driver works in a manual OS install but pooches out during a PXE-task sequence.

Got to love Dells.

John

6 Posts

January 31st, 2014 08:00

After following Franuzz's suggestion, and taking 2 hours to sift through dozens of NIC drivers, I found the one that worked:

The e1d3x64 driver for.......wait for it......Windows 8!!

So this driver functions for use within the boot.wim image during  PXE deployment BUT my OS image then installs the Windows 7 NIC driver and that works.

Thanks for the help.

John

1.1K Posts

January 31st, 2014 09:00

Which version of WinPE are you using?  

6 Posts

January 31st, 2014 09:00

1.1K Posts

January 31st, 2014 20:00

6.2.9200.16384 is WinPE 4.0 which requires Windows 8 drivers.  

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 05:00

Thanks,

Still curious as to why the Windows 7 driver them works with the PE on all my E6430, E6330 and E6530 laptops?

Many thanks to all - much appreciated,

John

1.1K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hi John,

You would need to verify which driver WinPE is actually using and then review the .INF for that driver to verify it's support limits.  The INF format allows drivers to be written to broad (all x86 Windows) or specific (x64 Windows 7 SP1 only) OS limitations.  

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 12:00

Many thanks Warren - appreciated

John

No Events found!