Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2011 08:00

Problem with E6420 and Dell Driver Pack .cab

I have downloaded the Dell Driver pack ver A00 for the E6420, extracted the contents and created a Windows 7 x64 driver package for SCCM OSD. When I deploy the driver pack in the task sequence I have issues with two drivers.
1. Nvidia NVS 4200M does not pnp and does not exist in the windows 7 file repository. If I try and point the device to the source inf folder, it fails to install. Seems like this driver may have some issues in the .cab file. I can get this device installed by downloading the driver individually, extracting it, and pointing it to the extracted inf file. I am importing this one into my driver pack to see if it will work.
2. The HECI drivers will not install at all. The device will show as a PCI Simple Communications Controller. If you try and point it to the inf, it will give the error "Windows found the driver for your device but encountered an error trying to install it".

Any ideas on the HECI driver?

1.1K Posts

April 11th, 2011 09:00

The Nvidia driver is a known issue and we have reported it to Nvidia and they are working on a fix.

I'll check on the HECI driver. I don't recall seeing an issues with it in my testing.

Thanks,

Warren

48 Posts

April 11th, 2011 12:00

"The Nvidia driver is a known issue and we have reported it to Nvidia and they are working on a fix.

I'll check on the HECI driver. I don't recall seeing an issues with it in my testing.

Thanks,

Warren"
Thanks Warren.

48 Posts

April 13th, 2011 08:00

Warren - Have you had a chance to test the driver pack and see if the HECI driver is installing? When I run the task sequence, it just pick the PC Simple Communications Controller driver by default. If I try to manually point the device to the HECI.inf file, it will say it found the driver but an internal error occurred installing it. We can't even install from the stand alone installer from the Dell drivers page, "Unified AMT 7 Management Interface driver". Weird thing is, the new machines we recieved from Dell, all have the driver successfully installed. How is Dell getting it installed? What process do you guys use for imaging pcs?

1.1K Posts

April 13th, 2011 10:00

I'm not seeing the issue on 32-bit, but will be checking 64-bit this afternoon. I'm not sure how the factory is installing the driver, but the factory process as a whole is a custom setup.

Thanks,

Warren

April 13th, 2011 12:00

"I have downloaded the Dell Driver pack ver A00 for the E6420, extracted the contents and created a Windows 7 x64 driver package for SCCM OSD. When I deploy the driver pack in the task sequence I have issues with two drivers.
1. Nvidia NVS 4200M does not pnp and does not exist in the windows 7 file repository. If I try and point the device to the source inf folder, it fails to install. Seems like this driver may have some issues in the .cab file. I can get this device installed by downloading the driver individually, extracting it, and pointing it to the extracted inf file. I am importing this one into my driver pack to see if it will work.
2. The HECI drivers will not install at all. The device will show as a PCI Simple Communications Controller. If you try and point it to the inf, it will give the error "Windows found the driver for your device but encountered an error trying to install it".

Any ideas on the HECI driver?"
I feel your pain. Working with the same scenario and hardware. I had initial hurdles even with the 6410 w/NVS3100M, but easily got it to inject correctly with NVIDIA's own drivers, extracted with CabArc or 7-Zip.

I've extracted 10 different drivers so far, and continually miss 30 or so of the .infs for DISM driver injection.

Don't count on Dell for a quick fix, lurk around laptopvideo2go.com or wait for NVIDIA to release a WHQL driver with support for the NVS4200M.

1.1K Posts

April 13th, 2011 13:00

"Warren - Have you had a chance to test the driver pack and see if the HECI driver is installing? "
I don't see the HECI device on 64-bit with our Win7x64 build, and it doesn't appear on its own unless I run the installer for AMT (which doesn't complete as you saw). If I delete the "unkown device" it doesn't return. But a factory built sytem has the HECI device, correct?

48 Posts

April 13th, 2011 14:00

"I got the HECI device to install by changing the following line in the HECI.inf. It breaks the signing of the driver, but it gets past the error I was getting which indicated that a service with the same name was already installed.

I added the "AMT" to the service name.

HECI_SvcDesc = "Intel(R) AMT Management Engine Interface"

Give that a try and I'll report it to the driver team.

Thanks,

Warren"
Cool...I'll try it. Thanks Warren.

48 Posts

"I don't see the HECI device on 64-bit with our Win7x64 build, and it doesn't appear on its own unless I run the installer for AMT (which doesn't complete as you saw). If I delete the "unkown device" it doesn't return. But a factory built sytem has the HECI device, correct?"
Yes. Thats correct. If you look in device manager it will pick up the device as "PCI Simple Communications Controller" right after the build completes (should have same dev id 1C3A), but then goes to "unknown device" once the AMT installer is run. We have found a way to manually install it. We have to delete the "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\HECIx64" and "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\MEIx64" reg keys. Then when we try to manually install it again...it works. Still haven't figured out why it will not pnp during the OS build correctly though.

1.1K Posts

I got the HECI device to install by changing the following line in the HECI.inf. It breaks the signing of the driver, but it gets past the error I was getting which indicated that a service with the same name was already installed.

I added the "AMT" to the service name.

HECI_SvcDesc = "Intel(R) AMT Management Engine Interface"

Give that a try and I'll report it to the driver team.

Thanks,

Warren

2 Posts

April 27th, 2011 11:00

I'm having a similar problem, specifically with the "PCI Simple Communications Controller" component only of the drivers. I'm trying to integrate the E6420, E6320 and 990 into my corporate XP (32-bit) and Win7 (64-bit) images. I've gotten all driver issues resolved on Win7 but with XP across platforms I'm unable to resolve the HECI.inf driver. I've attempted to use all drivers from Dell but without luck. It keeps coming back as "cannot install this hardware" "The name is already in use as a service name or a service display name". I've tried your AMT change above without luck. Any other ideas?

2 Posts

April 27th, 2011 16:00

Called up support and after a couple hours we found a solution. We had to go to the Intel site and download the latest chipset drivers to resolve the issue on all noted platforms: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20018&keyword=%22series+6+chipset%22&lang=eng

184 Posts

April 28th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for posting the follow-up ScubaDubba!

48 Posts

May 13th, 2011 09:00

I have also noticed that the Bluetooth Drivers seem to be missing form the the driver pack.

55 Posts

May 13th, 2011 21:00

Just another update. For all three of my systems (E6420/E6320/OpitPlex 790) when I told the PCI SImple Communications Controller to look in the big bucket of drivers from the Intel Chipset pack mentioned above, this is what it resolved to on ALL three of those systems: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Management Engine Interface - 1C3A. I'm adding that to my drivers in SCCM and going to retry OSD and see how things go!

55 Posts

May 13th, 2011 21:00

Yeah, this has been driving me crazy with the E6420/E6320 and 790. I downloaded the chipset utility from intel and had it run against the machine and it has no issues installing the proper devices. However, I am going to say that these current set of drivers are junk for the chipset.

As for the 375 A04 Bluetooth software, yeah issues there as well. It always wants to install at first logon for some reason...sigh. I am currently using the 375 A02 version from the E6410/E4310 and I haven't had any issues. On top of this, I'm having a similar issue with the 6350 in the OptiPlex 790. I tell windows to check it an it reinstalls it as a 5450.....
No Events found!