Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2011 07:00

ASM/VE Cant clone VM's

Hi,

I am using ASM/VE 2.1 with ESXi 4.1 / vCenter 4.1 with a PS4000 array running firmware 4.3.2. All seems to work well except for cloning virtual machines. If I try to clone a volume, it will create a smartcopy snapshot fine, but then fails to clone the VM with an error "clone volume EqlSnapshotElem.419936427.2.6 failed. Error: There is not enough space to perform this operation."

Now this error message on the surface would seem self explanatory, but there is plenty of space on the LUN where im trying to clone the virtual machine. Have tried this on 3 different LUNS with the same result.

Any suggestions on what I maybe doing wrong?

Thanks

Ian

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 25th, 2011 08:00

Hello,

You are doing a clone, not a snapshot, so you need 2x the space.  Volume + SR.

The firmware upgrade won't fix this, but there are many other important fixes since 4.3.2 was released.

If you're still having problems, best thing is to open a support call and they can get diags and the ASM/VE logs.

Regards,

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2011 09:00

Hello,

The most likely answer is that you haven't allocated snapshot reserve (SR) to those volumes.  Without SR, there's no space to create the snapshot, as it doesn't not pull space from the free space pool.

Also, you need to upgrade to firmware 4.3.7 at least.   There are a number of very important fixes since 4.3.2.   They are outlined in the fix list and release notes.

Regards,

-don

10 Posts

January 25th, 2011 00:00

Hi Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have 100% free snapshot reserve on the volumes. So for example a 200gig LUn has 200Gig snanpshot reserve. Like I say, it will create a smartcopy snapshot of the virtual machine, i can do this seperatley, or it will do it as part of the clone operation. It is when it actually comes to clone the virtual machine that it says it has insufficient space. Here is a screenshot to demonstarte what I mean:

If you look at the timestamp on the smartcopy and the time the clone operation started you will see they started at the same time, as this is the smartcopy generated by the clone operation, it just then fails on actually cloning the VM.

If it is firmware related, I will try and schedule some maintenance time on the SAN to update the firmware.

Thanks

Ian

10 Posts

January 25th, 2011 07:00

I have also noticed with ASM ME that a clone operation of say a SQL database clones the enitre LUN that the database resides on, would this be what the clone operation is trying to do when cloning a VM in ASM VE?

Ian

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

BTW, sorry for the mix up on the clone/snapshot issue. I read clone and thought snapshot.

One thing you can do is under Group Parameters set the default Snapshot Reserve to 0% so that when you clone/create new volumes you won't need 2x the space by default.

-don

10 Posts

Thanks for that Don, I will look into the free space I have on the SAN to try and get this to work.

Ian

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 25th, 2011 09:00

You can change the default for snapshot reserve, but normally you would use snapshots since you preallocate the reserve you don't need 2x every time.  Plus you can storage a number of snapshot deltas in that one reserve. Unlike a clone.  You can still bring a snapshot online and restore a VM or file from it.  Or if you need it permanently you can clone it at any time.  

Regards,

-don

10 Posts

January 25th, 2011 09:00

Yes, just tried this on a smaller 100 gig LUN and its carved out anohter 100 gig lun with a 100 gig SR attached :emotion-8:

Think ill stick to snapshots :P

Ian

No Events found!