Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2014 14:00

Backup Exec 2014 and HIT 4.7.1

I'm having issues with backup exec 2014 SP1 backing up windows servers with volumes attached to Equallogic PS Array's. If i select automatic VSS selection for the backup jobs, backup exec won't pick the Dell VSS and try to use microsoft which doesn't always work correctly causing backup failures. If I choose hardware VSS in the backup, it sometimes works but not always. Is there any known issues with backup exec 2014 and HIT 4.7.1 in regards to VSS? Has anyone else had this issue and know a workaround that will work across the board? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 4th, 2014 15:00

I'm not aware of any issues with BUE 2014.   I would make sure that all the MS VSS patches are in place.  If you are able to reliably create an EQL snapshot using the ASM GUI I would suggest opening a support case with Symantec.   ASM calls the same VSS service as BUE uses.  So the process should be the same for BUE.

When using the MS VSS provider, where you say that fails, how much free space is on that volume?   That's been the only reason I've seen MS VSS fail.  Not enough free space to create the hidden shadow snapshot.

What FW are you running on the EQL arrays?

Regards,

13 Posts

November 5th, 2014 06:00

FWIW I run BE2014 SP1 on 2012 R2, doing all sorts but specifically backing up a remote 2012 R2 virtual file server (VMware) which has guest-based iscsi connections to a dozen or so EQL volumes.  I use HIT 471 on both BE and file server.  I use ADBO to do off-host backups, importing EQL snaps to the BE server.

I can hardly believe i'm writing this, but it does actually seem to just work....  recently upgraded both hosts from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2, and recently applied BE SP1.  All seems to work as expected.

I do have "Use Hardware VSS" specified in the job rather than "Automatic".

In HIT 471, in ASM under settings and then 'PS Group Access' do you have all the relevant bits and bobs plumbed in on both FS and BE2014 servers?

Also if fileserver is VM, make sure VMware VSS provider is not installed as part of VMware tools (if that is still applicable these days - it used to be relevant).

No Events found!