Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2018 01:00

Changing Equallogic blade Array PS-M4110 IP Addresses

PS-M4110 has only two eth; eth0 and eth1. Once I enabled dedicated network management, eth1 marked as mgmt-only and the other one is for SAN as usual. eth0 is DCB enabled and assigned vLAN. the box has one group only with one member.

I faced a difficulty when I want to change the SAN IP. there is no additional eth can be used as a temporary to put the new IP on it in order to be able to change group IP. therefore, I planned to revert back dedicated network management and use it for iSCSI similar what seen in default configuration.

at this point, I am able to remove dedicated network management from the group. but when I work with the member I failed disabling mgmt-only with the following error messages:

DellPS4110(member_EQLSLOT15-member eth_1)> show
_______________________________ Eth Information _______________________________
Name: eth1                             Status: up                      
Changed: Sat Apr 14 04:11:38 2018      Type: ethernet-csmacd           
DesiredStatus: up                      Mtu: 1500                       
Speed: 100 Mbps                        HardwareAddress: C8:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
IPAddress:                             NetMask:                        
IPv6Address:                           Description:                    
SupportsManagement: only               ManagementStatus: enabled       
DCB: off                                                               

Disable the interface only for a short time (for example to move cables) and onl
y if you have access to a serial port on the member.

Do you want to disable the management interface? (y/n) [n]y

% Error - Cannot disable this interface. Interface must remain enabled.
DellPS4110(member_EQLSLOT15-member eth_1)> mgmt-only disable
% Error - The interface is dedicated to management operations only and is not al
lowed to be configured for iSCSI access.

Does anybody have an idea or workaround this ? or give the correct procedures. None-blade-array is easier  to change as there are more than one eth for SAN.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2018 10:00

Hello,

As you discovered, you can never use a dedicated management port for iSCSI as the physical port only runs at 10/100Mb. 

This should be done in a maint window with severs down since you are changing IP addresses.

There are two basic ways to change a single interface EQL array.  The easiest is if the new IP subnet can be accessed by expanding the netmask.    I.e. right now you are at 192.168.10.x / 255.255.255.0  And you want to go to 192.168.20.x.  Changing subnet to 255.255.0.0 will allow you to change the physical port (ETH0) first then change the discovery address.  Then you can change the netmask to what it needs to be.  If this is a multimember M4100 group, then change the subnet on both members first, before trying to change the IP address on first member.

Other method is more involved.  You have to enable IPv6, set up a temporary IPv6 schema and Group IP, change the IPv4.  Then optionally disable IPv6.   That's not required you can leave IPv6 in place in case you want to change it later.  Also, make sure your switches are capable and have IPv6 support enabled.

EQL: How to change the IP address on a group of single interface array(s)

Use IPv6 as a temporary address space. This method will provide a transitional address space that satisfies the requirement to have the Group IP address and an interface address in the same subnet.  Again a multimember group make sure IPv6 is configured on both members first before changing the IPv4 addresses.

Below is an example utilizing this method through the CLI command set:

Note: This procedure will require a maintenance window.

Changing the IP address closes all management and iSCSI connections associated with this IP address.

Steps on method 3:

First add an ipv6address to all members in the group w/ the new ipv4 address:

Test1-grp> member select Test1array eth select 0 ipv6address fc00::192:168:5:109

Test1-grp> member select Test2array eth select 0 ipv6address fc00::192:168:5:110

Next add the ipv6 WKA address:

Test1-grp> grpparams group-ipv6address fc00::192:168:5:108

Regards,

Don

Remove the ipv4 WKA address:

Test1-grp> grpparams group-ipaddress none

Deleting the group-ipaddress closes all management and iSCSI connections associated with this IP address. Do you really want to change? (y/n) [n]y

Remove the Old ipv4 address and add the new one to all members:

Test1-grp> member select Test1array eth select 0 ipaddress none

Changing the IP address closes all management and iSCSI connections associated with this IP address. Do you really want to change? (y/n) [n]y

Test1-grp> member select Test2array eth select 0 ipaddress none

Changing the IP address closes all management and iSCSI connections associated with this IP address. Do you really want to change? (y/n) [n]y

Add the ipv4 address back to all members:

Test1-grp> member select Test1array eth select 0 ipaddress 192.168.5.109 netmask 255.255.255.0

Test1-grp> member select Test2array eth select 0 ipaddress 192.168.5.110 netmask 255.255.255.0

Add the ipv4 WKA:

Test1-grp> grpparams group-ipaddress 192.168.5.108

Remove ipv6 WKA:

Test1-grp> grpparams group-ipv6address none

Deleting the group-ipv6address closes all management and iSCSI connections associated with this IP address. Do you really want to change? (y/n) [n]y

Remove ipv6 from all members

Test1-grp> member select Test1array eth select 0 ipv6address none

Test1-grp> member select Test2array eth select 0 ipv6address none

Regards,

Don

11 Posts

April 27th, 2018 09:00

Great idea, Don.

It works fine. Thank you so much...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 27th, 2018 09:00

Hello,

You are so very welcome!   I'm glad it worked for you. 

Regards,

Don

No Events found!