Highlighted
tsdoggett
Bronze

Equal Logic PS6100E Valid firmwares for the drives themselves

Jump to solution

I have an older array that I purchased from a defunct company.  A few of the drives have failed and I would like to replace a few of the failed drives.

I attempted with just the same model number and it reported that the drive was not supported now I am attempting to replace dell equallogic drives hower there now appears to be a F/W mismatch.  Any thoughts on what drive fw's will match with the equallogic PS6100E.

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies

RE: Equal Logic PS6100E Valid firmwares for the drives themselves

Jump to solution

Hello, 

You can not use off the shelf drives with EQL arrays.  They drive vendor creates custom imaged drives specific to EQL.  It has to be a Dell/Equallogic branded drive. 

There's no way to fix that either.  

Regards,

Don 

Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell
Get Support on Twitter - @dellcarespro

0 Kudos
tsdoggett
Bronze

Jump to solution

Yes I understand and I purchased some additional ones that I think are Dell EqualLogic branded drives and they are not spinning up.  Notification is that they failed to spin up in 33 seconds, marking drive as failed.

Terry

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Failing to spin up is a common error on a failed drive, nothing to do with firmware revision.  If they are EQL drives then they have the minimum firmware needed anyways.  

If you have a spare currently remove that and put in one of the replacement drives.  See if it spins up then.  You could have a slot that's not responding correctly.  Though usually that symptom is the drive doesn't show up at all   If you don't have a spare then try both drives in the open slots.  

Finally you could try to failover to the other controller then insert the EQL labeled drives one at a time.  If you again get the "failed to spin up.." then I would be confident that they are in fact bad. 

Regards,

Don 

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
tsdoggett
Bronze

Jump to solution

Interesting, I have just inserted two "new" drives in two different slots and they have both reported the same error.

However thanks for the information.

Terry

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Sounds like you have old EQL firmware.  I would try the failover first then try the drives again. 

Regards,

Don

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
tsdoggett
Bronze

Jump to solution

Great call on the Failover.  However it is now stating that the drives are not approved.  So now I am back to my question with regards to which Drive Firmware's are supported in a PS6100E and I suspect that it will have to do with the Software installed on the EqualLogic 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello, 

What firmware is that array running?  The label on the drive should say Del/Equallogic. 

don 

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
tsdoggett
Bronze

Jump to solution

V7.0.1 is the firmware that is running.

Terry

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hello, 

That's pretty old firmware.  Dec 2013.  I'm still on the side of those aren't authentic Dell/EQL drives. 

Don 

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos