Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 22nd, 2016 07:00

PS4000 doesn't see newly added secondary controller

We purchased a refurb type-8 controller for our PS4000 in our sandbox cluster.  After installation, it is not recognized.  "show enclosure" or "show controller" do not report it as being seen, and the GUI shows a red X over it.

We were going to install it and then upgrade the firmware since we're not sure what firmware it is on.  Is there a way to install the firmware directly onto the CF Card?

We looked for documentation on adding a new controller and any special steps we needed to take, but came up empty.

Any help is appreciated.

13 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 08:00

Issue solved....

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 08:00

Hello, 

My first guess is that it doesn't have a compact flash card installed.  When replacing failed controllers you swap the CF card from the defective one.  Maybe that's what the vendor assumed you were doing? 

Best option is to connect to the serial port and see if the controller even boots up at all.  (9600,n, 8, 1 no parity, no flowcontrol)  

If the firmware versions are not the same the controllers will not sync up.   If they are close in revision you can try running "update" at the CLI of the primary controller.  That will push the firmware from the active to the passive then restart it. 

Regards, 

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 10:00

That's great!   May I ask what was the resolution? 

Don 

13 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 11:00

The vendor had shipped a bad DIMM on the controller.  We replaced the memory just to test and everything worked.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2016 13:00

Great!  Thanks for letting me know.  I was very curious. 

Don 

No Events found!