Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: PS5000 stuck cancelling vacate

Re: Consulting - My mistake. I thought you no longer worked there. I'd much rather they pay you to help us. 😉

I've migrated the SD care over and it shows as being a newer firmware then the active controller at v7.1.9. Any advice to get them matched up again? I assume failover and then 'update'?

As a software engineer, I've always wondered about the inner working on these appliances. Pretty amazing feature set for their time.

I've reached out to the rep and await a response. I would assume your name is Don Williams?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Re: Firmware.  Do NOT failover the controller.  It won't boot up if the SD card firmware version doesn't match what is on the array already.  Instead, go to the Group CLI and run 'update'.    Do NOT transfer a firmware kit file.  The firmware from that active controller will be copied to the passive CM downgrading it to match firmware levels.  Then the passive CM will be rebooted automatically.   This will bring them back into sync and allow for failover to occur. 

Regards, 

Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the additional info about Dell Services... my rep sent me a number to call.

I've never been out of sync with CM firmware versions beforehand so excuse my ignorance. Will the update cause any outage / downtime?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

That's great news!   Hopefully get it figured out quickly. 

Re: Update.  Not at all.  Since it's only updating the passive CM.  Which does not have access to the drives or network ports until it becomes active.  Even the restart won't impact production, since it's technically offline anyways until the firmware matches. 

Regards, 

Don 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I logged in via CLI to update the passive controller and when I ran the 'update' command the following message returned immediately:

% Error - Member cannot be updated because a vacate is already in progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Well that's annoying!   Only other option I can think of would require an outage on that member. 

If you could shutdown, then remove the primary SD card then make an image of it and overwrite the SD card from the secondary.  

I would wait until you have the vacate issue resolved if at all possible.  Then run update.  But if you really wanted to get the passive back online that's what you'd have to do. 

Regards,

Don

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

If I had another array with the right firmware version, would that SD card image work?

I can't thank you enough for the insights and direction you've provided.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Hello, 

Yes. As long as it is the same exact version down to the patch or hotfix level. 

I.e. 7.1.4 and 7.1.4-H1 are NOT the same. 

So you can image up that SD and rewrite the passive CM SD card.  

There is nothing configuration related saved on the SD card. 

I am very happy to help you out. 

Regards, 

Don