Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2013 14:00

PS6000 convert from RAID5 to RAID10

I have a PS6000 in a 3 member group (in its own storage pool) that I want to convert from RAID5 to RAID10. All the LUNs have been deleted, but the option to change from RAID5 to anything else is greyed out.

How can I update it?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 15:00

You can't go from a larger capacity RAID level like 5 to a smaller one like R10.  That's never been supported.  The only way is to reset it and create it again.  You can save the configuration and restore it.  That would save you some time recreating the configuration.  If it's a member of an existing group, then remove it from the group first, that will reset it.

Regards,

Don, how do I save the configuration?

685 Posts

Yes you would want to remove it from the group that it is in and then do the reset and then you will be able to reconfigure the RAID policy and as long as you are using enough drives you will be able to select a RAID 10.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

At the GrpName> CLI type save-config

VirtRack> save-config ?

-verbose             - Displays to the screen all the commands being saved to t

he file.

-grouponly           - Does not generate commands for member and pool configura

tion.

- Name of the file to which the commands will be saved.

VirtRack> save-config

Then FTP to that member and get the file.  

When you're ready to restore, support can help you with that.  I believe the procedure might also be in the admin or CLI guide.

HI Kenny,

I'm running 5.2.5 on all my arrays. I'm happy to do the reset, I've configured a number of EqualLogic SAN's, it should be fairly easy... I'm just hoping there's an easier way.

685 Posts

What is the firmware version that is installed on the members? Being that you have deleted all the LUNs and data doesn't look to be an issue. What you could do is do a reset on the array and that will set it back to factory defaults where you can set up the new Raid array the way you currently want it configured. If you log into support.equallogic.com and go to the downloads section for the PS6000 it has the install and maintenance guide that explains the process for setting the RAID policy using CLI when configuring the array.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to update all members to the same FW, and I was going to wait for a later version, perhaps 6.1 before updated to version 6.

I think I will just do as you've suggested and reset the SAN (no data, so no problem). Should I delete the member from the group before I reset the SAN?

685 Posts

You can try and update the firmware to the 6.0.2 and then we can see if there was an issue with the older firmware on this unit that is keeping you from being about to go from the RAID 5 to the RAID 10. I have seen FW issues like that in the past.

No Events found!