Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2016 08:00

PS6100E - Which drives are supported?

Hi,

Have purchased a second hand PS6100E off a well known Internet Auction site which came as just the casing without any drives.

Appreciate that the EqualLogic are locked to certain hard drives and firmware and have been slowly building up a set of Constellation 1TB ST1000NM0001 with the PN04 firmware. Can anyone please confirm what other drives and firmware are suitable for this setup please.

TIA

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 4th, 2016 11:00

Hello,

Only Dell equallogic drives will work.  Standard drivers will not.

Don

3 Posts

October 5th, 2016 00:00

Thanks for your response, maybe I hadn't phrased my question properly, I am trying to discover which specific drives are supported by the PS6100E.

For instance I know that the 1TB Dell Constellation with the firmware PN04 works, if I wanted a 2TB version what would I need?

The reason for this question is that I am trying to do something on the cheap and attempting to fill the PS6100E with drives, have recently purchased some drives with XN36 firmware which were supposed to work and the PS6100E said that they were unsupported drives....

As the PS6100E (to my untrained eye) seems to be two EqualLogic units bolted together could I put 12 1TB drives in the top part of the unit then fill the remaining 12 slots with 2 or 3TB drives?

Thanks in advance for any input.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 6th, 2016 09:00

Hello

The 6100 requires special designated firmware drives.  It's not about the reported version you see.

I've never seen a 6100 support anything else.

There is a minimum number of drives needed depending on chassis.  Usually 1/2 populated.

Don

3 Posts

October 7th, 2016 07:00

Thanks Don,

I'm trying to discover which drives are though..... Appreciate that they will need to be Dell EqualLogic and probably be Constellation but Dell or EqualLogic branded ones - but which ones?

TIA

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

October 7th, 2016 09:00

I've heard more than once about people running Equallogic units with non-certified drives. I don't know which Equallogic models or which drives, but there is a difference between what is supported (mostly relevant if you have an active warranty/support contract) and what actually will work mostly just fine.

When dealing with multiple drives close together, I would however recommend to stick with enterprise class drives and not home-user/prosumer drives.

As Dell doesn't seem to want to provide you details about which drives (with which firmware) you can use, you could consider trying enterprise class drives.

Note that some Equallogic models have controllers that are SATA and others are SAS. Other models may only support SAS drives (and then use Near-line SAS drives for high capacity drives).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 7th, 2016 11:00

Hello,

Thank you for clearing up the question,  Sorry that I didn't get it immediately 

The largest qualified drive is 4TB NL-SAS 7,2K RPM.  The larger 6TB+ weren't OK'd until the 66xx/62xx models. 

Regards,

Don

No Events found!