Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2016 07:00

PS6210xs and PS6210x in same pool?

Hi. We have one PS6210XS hybrid and two PS6210X models in a group. They are all running firmware 8.1.4, and they are all in separate pools. The XS is running RAID6 Accelerated and the X models are running RAID6. These models will all play well together in one pool despite the accelerated/non-accelerated raid levels, correct?

Also, the members are using about 30TB out of the 58TB available, but it isn't evenly distributed. I know I can't delete the Default pool, but I want to put everything into one of the other pools. If I can move the Pool2 member into Pool1 (and it does look like I have enough space in Pool1 to do that), then I can move the default pool member into Pool1 and leave Default empty, correct?

ETA: And delete Pool2 after that member gets moved into Pool1, before moving the default pool member.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

First, you don't have to delete any of the pools.  You can always merge pools.  The change will happen immediately, but it will take some time to balance the pages between the members. 

I'm always cautious about merging hybrid with other non hybrid members.  Sometimes the hybrid is much smaller than the other members.  Especially in cases where the drives are NL-SAS.  This tends to mitigate the benefits of the hybrid, since much more data is on the NL-SAS members. 

I would look at SANHQ to see what the loads are on the various members.

If you do decide to merge members,  I would start by merging the X models.  If you select a pool, there's a "Merge Pools" option.  Then you would select the member you want to add tot that pool. 

You can also open a support case and ask for assistance.  They can review the SANHQ data and the array diagnostics.  

Merging members is quite easy, it's breaking them up again which can be more difficult. 

Regards, 

Don 

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

The default Pool can be empty.  We use the "Default" as Maintenance pool and also for new member to become 100% production ready (creating read, setup all IPs and tesing)

I would suggent to place the two PS6210X together in one pool and the hybrid into another. If you dont care about the ssd you can group all three together. Keep in mind that the ALB use a capacitly placing first. You havent told us the disk space from your members.

I have move volumes and members between pool... but in there is in the GUI also "Merge Pool" and maybe some of the Dell guys from here can tell you how it works.

Regards
Joerg

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

November 17th, 2016 08:00

OK, thanks to both of you for the replies.

Pool1 is my hybrid pool. Pool2 and Default are my non-hybrid pools. Merge apparently deletes the pool being merged from, so I'll have to move the member from default to Pool2 rather than merge since default can't be deleted, right? I want to empty default for the same reason Joerg has done, so that new members can be more easily initialized and configured.

Is the hybrid functionality on the XS is limited to only that XS member, even if the X members are in the same pool? All of the HDDs are 10k RPM. I'm not sure if any are NL-SAS. The X models each have about 1.5 TB more space than the XS. Would we lose 3 TB of usable space if we had all of them in the same pool?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 17th, 2016 08:00

You can rename the "Default" pool is that bothers you.  Or set another pool to "default"  It will show up as PoolName (default)     The "default" function isn't really used anymore.  It was created so that if a pool was not specified it would create it in the "Default" pool.   So there's no downside to it. 

If you put any model member in a pool with other members, it will be used.   The data will be striped across the members in proportion to their relative sizes.  So if one member is 2x the size of the other, by default it will have 2/3rd of all the data for that pool.  

It's that fact that can lessen the benefit of the Hybrid array.  WIth 10K or 15K members that affect is lessened.  

Don 

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

November 17th, 2016 09:00

You dont loose any kind of space when grouping different EQLs together. All capacity will be available within the pool. When i say "if you dont care about the ssd" i meas the performance and not the capacity.

Having a SSD  or Hybrid you bought it for as a special solution for a special problem ie. workload right?. If you have 2 different EQLs in one pool you cannot exactly place your workload on the member you would like.

If your  group contains a 10TB and a 20TB EQL in one pool and you create a 3TB volume the ALB place the volume with 1 TB on the smaler unit and with 2TB on the larger one. So you have less control about your data and when there is a need that this workload it placed on the fastet storage you have it isnt a good solution to group a hybrid/ssd together with hdd only unit.

Yes there  is "Raid preference" but thats also not a 100% solution for pin point your data.

Regards
Joerg

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

November 17th, 2016 09:00

OK, I understand what both of you are saying. We'll put the 2 HDD units in one pool and leave the hybrid in it's own. We don't have a ton of LUNs that need the SSDs, so we'll place the ones we need on it and eeny meeny miney mo others if we need to.

Thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 17th, 2016 10:00

Great! 

SANHQ can really help you here.   You can monitor the individual volumes for IOPs, R/W percentages, etc.. 

Good luck. 

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

They may have removed it in recent versions of firmware. 

As I mentioned it doesn't really have a purpose.

Don 

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

Yes, I'm looking at SAN HQ now. The SSDs appear to be writing about 3x faster than the next fastest HDDs for the current load. I'll continue to monitor that over the next couple of days to see how much it changes, then I'll merge the non-hybrid pools and see what the change is on those disks. I'll alos create an archive that includes pre and post change data.

You said that a different pool can be set as default, right? If so, is that a CLI option only? I don't see anything in the GUI to do that.

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

November 17th, 2016 11:00

Fair enough. Thanks.

No Events found!