Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2015 05:00

San Hq-Installation

Hi am new to DELL SAN HQ. I have installed it with version 3. I need to know what group means? and how do i add all SAN into it to monitor. Please help me out. Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2015 15:00

Did you add the public community string in the Group first?   I.E. public

If you are using Dedicated Mgmt feature, then you would put in the Management IP address, not the iSCSI discovery address.

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2015 11:00

Hello,

This allows you to customize the alerts per group.  TO:  Is where you want to send it "to".    I.e. an E-mail alias:  EQLalerts@domain.com.     The FROM: is how you want that alert to appear in your inbox.

If the Group Name is:   ProductionOne,   you could list the FROM as  ProductionOne@domain.com

So you would get the Group Having the issue,, and the subject will contain the error.   This makes it easy to determine what group, or search for issues later.   It would also allow you to create a customer E-mail rule based on the Group Name.  

Regards,

Don

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

June 16th, 2015 09:00

An EQL Array always lives in a "Group" even if you only have a single one. So after you install SANHQ you have to klick "Add Group" and specify the MGMT GroupIP (when using the MGMT feature) otherwise its the iSCSI Group IP.

Consider to log into the EQL GroupMgmr first to take a look to the IP config of the group and the SNMP comunity string.

Regards,

Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 16th, 2015 09:00

Hello,

Your EQL arrays are organized into Groups.  The address you use to manage your EQL arrays is known as the Group Address.   That's the address  you would use to Add a group to be monitored in SANHQ.

Regards,

Don

19 Posts

June 16th, 2015 12:00

First of all thanks guys for responding. Its been explained well. I have got a quick question. EQL arrays are like SAN if am not wrong. I can join all arrays into group with specific group id or separate arrray with separate group?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 16th, 2015 16:00

EQL arrays ARE a SAN device, that's correct.    Yes, if you have multiple physical members that can be encompassed into a single Group, using one discovery/mgmt. IP or each member can be its own group.  Additionally with in a group, members can be pooled together or segmented into different pools.  When they are joined in the same pool, the data is striped across the members to increase performance.  They work cooperatively on the same volumes.  If in different pools withing the same group you can move volumes between them or using SYNC replication to have a live backup of your data in case the primary member fails.  

If you break them into different groups, you can use asynchronous replication to have a copy of your data at a DR site.

Regards,

Don

19 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 14:00

I was trying to add a group from my group manager to SAN HQ. When i entered the SNMP community string and group Ip while connecting Im getting error message on SAN HQ.

"Group TCP/IP connection /Server connection lost"

If anyone could explain me why its happening it will be helpful. Thanks

19 Posts

June 24th, 2015 06:00

yes i have added public community string and management ip address. Still it shows the same problem

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2015 10:00

Is the SANHQ server on the same subnet as the array?  I would suggest opening a support case so they can more directly triage this issue.

don

19 Posts

June 24th, 2015 11:00

Yes i would like to open a case. How do i proceed for that

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

Re: Case.  You can call 1-(800)945-3355 or via the EQLSUPPORT.DELL.COM website you can create a case there as well.  They'll need the Service tag from one of the arrays.

Don

19 Posts

June 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi you have mentioned to check "is the SANHQ server on the same subnet as the array?". I think there should be the problem. I have 4 SAN on HQ with different network. How do i configure SAN HQ server with same subnet of as array?. Thanks

19 Posts

June 25th, 2015 10:00

Am routing it to different network. I have changed the iptables configuration which allows polling now. So i can successfully add group into SAN HQ. Is there anyway that i can run san hq as a service? I mean even if I can close the "app" and it still runs in the background or reboot the server and it starts as a service i.e I donl't have to launch it and leave it opened

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi,

Is the SANHQ server in the same network as the array management port, or are you routing to it on a different network.  

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

It already is a service.  When you installed it, you installed both the server and client.   The GUI is just a client that connects to that SANHQ service and displays the data.

Don

No Events found!