Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2014 15:00

Snapshot Signatures

Hello,

I have an Equallogic PS6110x array which I'm using to mount snapshot to my vmware environment for backup purposes.  The LUN I'm backing up is for a Riverbed Granite (steelfusion) device.  I'm also using Veeam to back up the VMs from this snapshot.

Currently it's a manual process where I have to take the snap, set it online, rescan my datastores, add the storage, change the signature, add the VMs to inventory, go into Veeam, edit the backup job, remove the previous VMs, add the new VMs, and run an active full backup.

As you can imagine this is way more manual of a process than I wanted and I don't have the enterprise version of veeam to be able to backup the snap directly from the array.

My question is, does anyone know how to mount a snap to VMWare with the same signature as the previous mount or if it's possible?  I'd like to have it setup where VMWare sees the same datastore for every snap.  I'm hoping this will allow me to run the backup without having to edit every time on a schedule and also do incrementals instead of always doing a full.

Ideas?

Thanks,
T

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 16:00

I do have a CentOS box.  Thank you both for your help.  I will check out VMFS-Tools.  Much appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

Backup from a SAN snapshot with Veeam is only possible with HP and Netapp gear. They ask Dell but didnt get a positive answer.

I cant help you with the rest because is dont fully understand why you cant use Veeam in a normal way like using HotAdd, LanFree or NBD Mode for Backup. In dont know what Riverbed Granite is or how it works.

EQL, vSphere and Veeam have a Powershell API so chances are not so bad to get it more automated in some way or another :)

Regards,

Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Re: Signature.  No, you can't present two different Datastores with the same signature.  That signature is what ESX uses as the mount point.

If you go to /vmfs/volumes you'll see the UUID's and softlinks to the Datastore name

If you have any Linux systems you might want to check out VMFS-Tools.  It allows a Linux server to mount VMFS datastores.  Works great for snapshots/replicas.    Might be easier to script that.

Regards,

3 Posts

Thank you very much for your response.  Granite or now Steelfusion allows me to use iSCSI targetting to write back and forth to a LUN for remote offices.  The VMs are held on a local device, but the datastore is actually in a Data Center.  I could just backup the VMs from the Riverbed device, but it's far away and would take a very long time.  So I use the Riverbed to create a snapshot of the datastore and back that up.

Hope that helps.  It's a relatively new technology.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2014 17:00

You are welcome.  VMFS v5 support is pretty new, but for snapshots or replicas it should be pretty safe.

I would of course test it very carefully first.  I used it when I couldn't get a replca to mount for some unknown reason.  I was able to restore the VMDKs that way.

glandium.org/.../vmfs-tools

Take care.

No Events found!