Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2012 06:00

Space Distribution with Multiple Member Pools

Question: We have a pool with two ps6500x (48 x 600gb) there was near 2tb left free. I added a third identical member to the pool. Space has freed up from only one of the member arrays in this pool (while data has migrated to the new array) however the second original array is still sitting at 920gb free. I was under the impression that each array in the member should end up almost evenly distributing storage volumes. Is that not the case? Is a data volume spread across multiple arrays as well or only the connections? Reason I ask is because I do have a couple larger volumes in this pool (2tb, 8tb and 12tb) and I am wondering if what I am seeing is the result of a couple of these larger volumes residing on that one particular member (with 920gb free)

Any clarification would be appreciated.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2012 08:00

Are all the volumes the same RAID level?   If not, did you set the RAID preference on those volumes so they would migrate to that member?   Or did you bind those volumes to that member.   Doing so will change how data is distributed.   across the members.

102 Posts

Hi Don,

These arrays are all RAID-50. The volumes are all set to Automatic. No volumes were specifically binded at any time to any one array. The array was initially RAID-10 and then expanded to RAID-50 before data was ever written to it - while it was in an isolated pool. Once the array expansion completed, I moved it into the existing SUMO pool with the other two arrays. I did this as I wanted to put the drives under load before putting the array into production.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

What's the FW revision?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2012 09:00

Have to open a case.  Only diags from all members will provide insight.

102 Posts

October 11th, 2012 09:00

We just upgraded this weekend. All arrays were at 6.0.1 PRIOR to adding the new array into the same pool as the other two members.

Any other ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 11th, 2012 10:00

You are most welcome.   What kind of switches are you using?

Also as a general setting, since this isn't 10GbE, disable Data Center Bridging (DCB) in the EQL GUI.

102 Posts

October 11th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the help. Will do that and post back with the results when I get to that point.

No Events found!