Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 4th, 2015 07:00

Virtual hostname

We have an Equallogic running on a PS4100. I'm fairly new to the system so still learning my way round it. This might be a simple query.

My question is this : we have an old storage server with 4tb of data. Let's call it SERVER1. It's due retirement.

I'd like to move that data to the Equallogic, where I have ample space for it.

However, we have many, many clients running many mapped drives to SERVER1. Rather than remapping everyone, which will take an age, is there a facility within SAN HQ or Group Manager to give a virtual hostname (which will be 'SERVER1') and IP to a volume? Pretty sure our old NAS system a few years back was able to do this.

For clients, the transition would be seamless - they'd still connect to the same hostname, only it would now be hosted on the Equallogic rather than being a standalone server. I'd need to update DNS entries and switch off the original SERVER1 completely of course.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 4th, 2015 10:00

Hello,

No.  The PS series arrays by themselves are just SAN storage device s that use the iSCSI protocol to connect servers to the storage. .  They are not NAS file servers on their own.  Dell does offer a NAS device that fully integrates into the PS SAN, Known as a FS7600.  

Regards,

Don

10 Posts

July 4th, 2015 10:00

Ok, thank you.

No Events found!