Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2016 22:00

What is the best practise to create Volumes

hi.

i have Dell Equiliser PS 6000 model SAN storage. with RAID 50 Configured. and spce 4 TB

1. i want to present 2TB and 2 TB Volumes to the 2 host servers. is it good to present like this or

2. can i present each Volume separately to each Vertual Machine..???

My friends said 1st method is good practise.

3. and i am using Host IP address to present the volumes is it correct way.

4. if i use Host NIC to present Volumes. then can i use the same NIC as Virtual switch or not.

please give me reply urgent need.

thanks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 29th, 2016 02:00

Hello,

Re: 1

If you have a 4TB array, do NOT use all of the available space on the array.  This will reduce performance in the long run.  The array needs some unallocated free space.  More if you are using snapshots or replication.

Re: 2

If you are not using a cluster capable filesystem, then don't connect multiple servers to the same volumes.  Each server should only have access to its own volume.  You can connect either using the Hypervisor (AKA Raw Device Mapped LUN) or directly from the VM.  That's known as "Storage Direct".  If your server is running Windows, then with that configuration you can use the Host Integration Toolkit / Microsoft edition (HIT/ME) to provide enhanced MPIO and better integration with MS Exchange, MS SQL, and SharePoint.  

Using IP addresses is fine for controlling access.  It's a personal preference.  It's possible to make a mistake and allow multiple server access when just using IP addresses.  Or an address can be spoofed as well.  Most secure option is using a CHAP username / password combination.  

Regarding your last two questions, I'm not sure I understand completely.

The iSCSI network should be on it's own.  So each VM or physical host connecting would have their own NICs.  Be they virtual NICs or physical NICs. With Virtual Switches, there should be dedicated HW NICs for iSCSI traffic as well.  But those can be shared by multiple VMs.  

Regards,

Don

6 Posts

February 29th, 2016 21:00

thanks for your reply,.

1. sorry i have 4.71 TB after Raid 50. so i configured 2 Volumes one is 2 TB, snap shot space 409GB(20%)

and second 1.92 TB, snap shot space 393GB(20%). is it correct way or not.

2.  these volumes we are using for MS-Lync 2013 deployement. so i need to install host integration Toolkit. where i have to install, in Host server.

3. CHAP username/ Password. what is this please can you give me clear information about this.

please give me reply.

thanks for your support.

February 29th, 2016 21:00

thanks for the information guys, really helped me in tough situation

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 1st, 2016 07:00

Hello,

The online help in the GUI will give you more info on using CHAP  E.g.

psonlinehelp.equallogic.com/.../using_chap_to_control_iscsi_access_to_volumes.htm

There's also a PDF with info on setting up CHAP

en.community.dell.com/.../download

Don

6 Posts

March 7th, 2016 01:00

sorry the volume showing as unallocated and shoing as online

please support. and what is the reason for this issue.

thanks

6 Posts

March 7th, 2016 01:00

Hello,

from one of my host server the LUN volume suprisely disconnected and when i connected again the volume is showing as RAW in Disk Management of Host server. but when i checked in SAN that volume showing as used space and free space. Please already we installed 4 VMs in the LUN.

i connected the host servers with IP.

please can you help me how to get the vms back,

thanks for your support.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 7th, 2016 17:00

Hello,

At any time did you have the volume connected to both servers?   RAW means that the filesystem info is not readable anymore.  A common cause is what's known a "double mount"   Without a cluster aware filesystem in place, connecting multiple servers to one volume results in corruption.  As each server believe they own the volume exclusively.   Writes are not coordinated.

Don

No Events found!