Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2012 03:00

best practise when adding another EQL

hi there,

I am looking to add another EQL to my existing pool and was wondering what the best practise is.

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to create a separate storage pool as the EQL is aware of the different characteristics of the drives and will move data according to is usage?

Or should I create a separate storage pool and manually move LUNs?

Cheers,

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2012 09:00

I would put the RAID10/25K in its own pool.   The remaining members in one pool.    Monitor with SANHQ and depending on load you could later merge the 15K array with the others.   Also install the HIT kit as well.  

124 Posts

July 30th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for replying Don.

We will update all FW to 5-2-4

The current EQL is PS4000x, 8 x 450GB 10K

Total iSCSI connections are 16

We are adding EQL DellPS4100E 6x 2TB, 7.2k

Thanks for your help with this.

-Huw

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2012 07:00

It depends on a number of factors.   Current firmware, type/size of current array and what you are planning on adding.   Also what's the current connection count?

The performance load balancer in 5.2.x does a much better job of balancing IO between members.  However, the balancer works against consistent, or steady state loads.  If you have lower IO normally, then spikes, the PLB isn't going to be as effective.  

Also if the members are extremely different sizes, like 2TB member and a 24TB member, then there is only so much balancing that can be done, since most of the data will be on the larger array.

So if you can provide some more details, I might be able to give you a better answer.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 30th, 2012 08:00

Definitely, install SANHQ.   That will tell you allot about what's going on.

It's a bit of a toss up.  If you really do grow, next step will be to fully populate the arrays.   Then you will also have SANHQ data to better decide what kind of IO pattern you are doing.   SANHQ will also help you see when you are running out of IO capacity with your 1/2 populated arrays.

I'm going to suggest you put the new member in the same pool as the existing.   That way you'll have more spindles right now.  Later by adding drives you would have enough space to vacate the PS4000 into its own pool if need be.  Good news is that you can add drives later.  You will have to fill the rest of the slots though, you can't just add one or two disks.  They would only show up as spares.

Regards,

124 Posts

Current EQL is RAID 50 and plan to make the new one RAID 50 also.

Its just exchange really. The systems are very complicated although we are expecting the company to grow rapidly.

I don't have SAN HQ installed but can install it.

Cheers,

Huw

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

RAID levels?     Do you have SANHQ installed?    You can go either way, somewhat depends on your expected future growth. If in the same pool, the 4100 will handle most of the load.  What applications are you currently running?   I.e. SQL, exchange, etc..

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

Also for your 2nd. environment i would suggest to place all 3 EQL within the same pool. I prefer to create a new pool and not to use the "default" one. In the "default" pool we deploy and setup the new EQLs and running them for some tests and a "burn in". After a short period of time we move them into the production pool(s).

I have 4xPS6010 within a pool and the performance is great. Keep in mind that you can specify a RAID preference for a volume to you can adjust the placement in a pool which have different EQL/Raidlevels.

Regards

Joerg

124 Posts

Thanks Don. Can I just pick your brain about 1 more thing.

I've also been asked to setup 3 EQL for another customer. They are having....

Dell Equallogic PS6110XV 24 X 600GB 15k SAS,

10Gb Dual Controllers,

Capacity – 14.4 Tb Raw, 5.7 Tb in RAID 10

Dell Equallogic PS6110X 24 X 900GB 10k SAS,

10Gb Dual Controllers,

Capacity – 21.6 Tb Raw, 14.0 Tb in RAID 50

Dell Equallogic PS6110X 24 X 900GB 10k SAS,

10Gb Dual Controllers,

Capacity – 21.6 Tb Raw, 14.0 Tb in RAID 50

Force10 10GB 48 Port switches

Would you recommend different storage pools for the above. This company makes heavy use of SQL.

Cheers I appreciate your help

Huw

124 Posts

Thanks guys appreciate the advice

5 Posts

July 30th, 2012 10:00

My  approach is to first configure the new EQL as a separate pool, and check hardware is operational, firmware up-to-date and so on. Upgrade firmware if not. Make sure existing pool and members at same firmware level, update if not. Then reset the new EQL to factory defaults and proceed.

Do be clear first on the the terminology meanings: Storage Group (one or more EQL boxes); Array=Member=EQL box ; One or more Pools within the Storage group; Volume=LUN, in one of the pools

Dell have a  document on how they load-balance the pool, Maybe read that first if you want to decide your options. Search for "USING TIERED STORAGE IN A PS SERIES SAN"

Hope that gets you started.

No Events found!