Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 10:00

DDP - Disk Pool Preservation vs Virtual Disk Free Capacity.

Hi,

(MD3420) So I'm only on second screen of disk pool wizard :-\ 

I have read much on this and watched dells own youtube videos but they seem to skip over the details on Virtual disk "free capacity".  

The storage manager help screen for the form seems to be talking about reserve and diskpools not Virtual disks so that's not really very helpful either.

A few forum posts mention using using all capcity in the virtual disk group and ignore the fresh-hold but I would like some reasoning to what I should be setting therefore my question..

Can someone tell me the difference between Disk Pool Preservation ( currently 2 / 12 disks ) and virtual disk "Free Capacity (% of usable) including how they work together?

(I've attached screenshots of the wizard).

Thanks in advance.

Jason

1 Attachment

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 7th, 2015 02:00

Bump - Anyone I thought this would have been an easy question for someone to answer?

• 

7.1K Posts

September 8th, 2015 13:00

Hello Jason,

The preservation capacity in a disk pool is reserved for data reconstruction operations in case of physical disk failures. Think of it similar to the way a hotspare takes over for a failed drive. When you are not using DDP then you will have to configure your hotspare drives like normal for your different virtual disk/ disk groups. Here is a link to the MDSM users guide & if you look on page 115 it gives some more about the differences with using DDP & virtual disks. http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/Common/powervault-md3400_Reference%20Guide8_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

No Events found!