Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2015 10:00

Equallogic SAN

I have an old Equallogic san that has a member that died(1 of 2).  When I try to remove it, I receive the message, "Call Dell Customer Support" for assistance in deleting an offline member."  Why???  I don't care about the data.  I want to use the other remaining member by itself.

Any thoughts?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 1st, 2017 11:00

Hello, 

EQLX-Customer-Service is for renewing Service Contracts only, they don't handle support cases. 

Hello, you can create a Tech Direct account without a support contract.  

When you called the 3355 number what happened?  I would call them again, and explain the situation.  They should be able to get you the response. 

The problem with the allowing the delete is why is it showing offline?  Depending on the reason, just deleting it could be wrong choice resulting in data loss.    I don't disagree that an override option should be allowed.   There have been cases where someone deleted an active member, even though they had to enter "DeleteAllMyDataNow".  

Regards,

Don 

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 14:00

Starting with Firmware v5.2.4 deleting an offline member has to be done through the CLI on one of the other active member using the command:

GrpName>member delete

You will then be given a Challenge for example:

GroupAlpha>member delete
Challenge 1234 (copy this number AND you will also need the Array Firmware Version)
Response:  (contact support for this part)
Member has been successfully removed from group.

Even though you don't have a support contract they should be able to issue you the response so you can remoe the member.  Try calling them using the phone numbers on this page: https://eqlsupport.dell.com/secure/login.aspx, and provide the challenge and FW version

Remember to leave the command at the challenge until you have a response.

-Joe

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2015 14:00

Hello, 

That change was put into the s/w as a protection scheme.  Customers would accidently remove offline members thinking they could just add it back in later w/data.   So a challenge / response code is needed. 

At the Group CLI you will issue the member delete command and it will provide you with challenge information.  Support will provide you with the response. 

Even if you don't have a support contract they will still likely help you with this task. 

Regards, 

Don 

15 Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

I tried calling and emailing support and neither would route me to someone who could answer the challenge response without a valid support contract. I can understand making this difficult would be important (like require serial access, or forcing you type out "ThisWillDeleteAllMyData") but to make it impossible is very frustrating.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

Hello, 

What number did you call?  Where are you located?  Problem with e-mails, is that it does not create a case.  Known as a service request.(SR)   Once you have an SR, they should be able to assist you with getting the challenge response. 

I can understand your frustration, but this was put in b/c when a  member gets disconnected (once case the customer didn't have passive cables connected) so the member showed offline.  The customer deleted it thinking they could just re-add it in.   This removes all configuration information from the array database.  

Regards, 

Don 

15 Posts

February 1st, 2017 11:00

The number I called: 1-800-945-3355, I am located in the US

When I emailed (eqlx-customer-service@dell.com), I got a case number but they said I would have to go through Dell TechDirect. I can't figure out where / how to do that with an array no longer under a support contract.

And I do understand the need for a safeguard, but wouldn't it make more sense to do something like you already do when someone wants to reset any array (where you force someone to type out "DeleteAllMyDataNow").

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 13:00

Thank you very much for your help.

I was eventually able to get signed up on TechDirect and then submitted a request with the challenge information in the details. This got them to forward me on to someone who was able to help and after a couple emails it was all taken care of.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 15:00

Hello, 

That's great!  Thanks for the update. 

Regards, 

don 

No Events found!