Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2011 02:00

Equallogic initial replication

We will be installing another SAN at a remote location that has a 5 MB connection (MPLS), I would like to replicate the data at our main data center then move it out to our remote location. Is this possible? Is there a white paper or tech article that would provide some instruction on how to accomplish this?

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

July 28th, 2011 06:00

Michaelt73,

You will first need to setup your network and routing to allow ICMP and TCP 3260 from the private SAN production network, to the remote site SAN network.

In other words, once your routing is setup properly, all of the array eth interfaces and the group IP address that are in the production PS Group, will need to be able to ping and communicate to all the eth interfaces and group IP address on the remote site (and from the remote site back to the production site).

To test this use this command from the CLI of each array:

Usage: ping "-I "

The sourceIP is the IP address of a specific array ETH port. This is done from a group prompt after logging into the array. The quotes are needed from the group prompt. You will need to check each interface.

Example:
Here is an example going from one network '10.1' to another '10.3' which might be the case if you are checking the connectivity for replication:
groupname>ping " -I 10.1.20.11 10.3.20.100"

Another example would be a local test. In this case, we're just staying on the same subnet.
groupname>ping " -I 10.1.20.11 10.1.20.100"
Note: the above is a Capital eye "I"

ping without -I will probably use eth0

Once the basic network connectivity is established, the I would read the section in the Group Administration Guide on replication setup. You can downloaded the guide from the EqualLogic support site https://www.equallogic.com/secure/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/support/Default.aspx (login required).

Regards,
Joe

5 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 10:00

@JoeSatDell, thanks I will read over the material that you referenced.

August 3rd, 2011 10:00

Hello,

To answer your other question, you can replicate it locally and then move it to the DR site. If you can use the final IPs and make the routing work great. If not, then you can change the IP address later on. The procedure is in the Admin guide downloadable from the EQL support site.

One thing about MPLS, is that by default the packet size is less than 1500bytes. We've seen this cause problems with replication, since our minimum MTU is 1500.
Check with your provider about that.

-don

No Events found!