Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2010 15:00

How to script backup of EQL snapshot to mounted volume

We are trying to script the follolwing so we can schedule this every night:

1. mount the last snapshot of the night to a volume,
2. present the volume to a host
3. backup the volume with Symantec Backup exec.

Have you heard of this approach.

May 11th, 2010 07:00

We are trying to do the same thing. I would like to be able to have BackupExec create a snapshot at the scheduled time. When the tape drive becomes available, put on tape.

We have the ADBO options for BE. However, if there is no destination available (tape drive is in use) then the job just waits. I wish it would create the snapshot and then go to tape when its ready.

Does anyone have a good solution for backing up SnapShots?

We have BE 12.5 with ADBO and a Dell EqualLogic PS4000XV

55 Posts

May 11th, 2010 08:00

What type of volume are you snapping? NTFS? VMFS?

May 11th, 2010 09:00

"What type of volume are you snapping? NTFS? VMFS?"
NTFS

55 Posts

May 11th, 2010 10:00

The volume being snapped is mounted to a physical or a virtual server ?

May 11th, 2010 10:00

physical

55 Posts

May 11th, 2010 11:00

Last question I promise :-)
Is the OS on the Backup Exec media server EXACTLY the same OS as that on the server being backed up?

May 11th, 2010 11:00

Yes, all windows 2003 standard SP2

May 11th, 2010 12:00

Yes, I know. We have ADBO and its setup and working. Thats not the issue.

55 Posts

May 11th, 2010 12:00

Perfect... then as long as the OS's will remain identical...
The Advanced Disk Backup Option (aka ADBO) is exactly what you need.
Make sure that BE and BE remote agents are up to date and on the same version.

Here are some helpful links...

Demo of how leveraging ADBO for "Off-host backup" with Equallogic along with the corresponding white paper...
Demo: http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Off-host+Backup
Whitepaper: http://dell.symantec.com/files/3/images/Configuring_Backup_Exec_off-host_backups_with_PS_Series_SANs_hi_res.pdf

How to use ADBO with the SQL Agent
http://tinyurl.com/ADBO-SQL

55 Posts

May 11th, 2010 13:00

My bad. I though you were trying to solve for the scenario below... yes?
If so, ADBO allows you to do exactly this in an automated fashion without the need for scripting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are trying to script the follolwing so we can schedule this every night:

1. mount the last snapshot of the night to a volume,
2. present the volume to a host
3. backup the volume with Symantec Backup exec.

Have you heard of this approach.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 11th, 2010 13:00

Similar idea. However we are already using ADBO to do this.

My problem is with the ability of BE to create and manage EQL snapshots. We would like to use snapshots in place of Backup-to-Disk folders. Basically use them as a buffer for tape jobs. But BE lacks the ability to create the snapshot and wait for a tape Device to become available. So scheduling snapshots at specific times is not possible.

55 Posts

May 12th, 2010 07:00

Ah! I see... so you want to send the EQL snap straight to tape... by-passing the B2D folder on the media server.
Sorry... that is not a configuration that anyone has ever attempted. So you are pioneering new ground :-)

Keep in mind... if you leverage ADBO + a de-duplication storage folder you can greatly reduce the disk capacity required for your B2D space.

May 12th, 2010 08:00

We do not want to reduce the disk space needed, we want to eliminate it. There is not much benefit from having a duplicate copy of 1-2 TB volumes. Anytime you use B2D media you are essentially copying your data. So no matter what size your data volume is you use twice the space. We would like to not waste this space on our expensive storage solution if possible.

The auto snapshot manager already creates and stores snap shots in a standard mannner. It would seem logical that Backup Exec could do the same. The ADBO agent already understands VSS and uses the Hardware snapshot provider. So it is capable of doing this. Howerver the software and GUI is not developed to handle it.
No Events found!