Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2013 10:00

backup

I am currently running  SAN using dell ps 6000x with xenserver. i do not have a DR site yet and do not have any backup software in place.

what is the best way of backing up my volumes other than snapshots? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 16th, 2013 11:00

Hello,

Snapshots should never be considered a substitute for backup.  They can be automatically deleted via a schedule max keep limit, or if snapshot reserve is exhausted.  If the volume is deleted, so are the snapshots.  

Are you using Citrix Xenserver?  If so, what version?

There are some backup applications specifically for XenServer environments.  You can also backup the VM's using a guest based agent, so virtually any backup software can be used.

Also important is to save the EQL array configuration after you make changes if you are using Storage Link with Ctirx XenServer.  At the EQL CLI you run "save-confg "    Then you can retrieve that file with FTP or SCP.   If you ever had to completely restore an EQL array you can use that file to put all the volumes names, access controls, etc onto the new array.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 16th, 2013 11:00

Hello,

Snapshots should never be considered a substitute for backup.  They can be automatically deleted via a schedule max keep limit, or if snapshot reserve is exhausted.  If the volume is deleted, so are the snapshots.  

Are you using Citrix Xenserver?  If so, what version?

There are some backup applications specifically for XenServer environments.  You can also backup the VM's using a guest based agent, so virtually any backup software can be used.

Also important is to save the EQL array configuration after you make changes if you are using Storage Link with Ctirx XenServer.  At the EQL CLI you run "save-confg "    Then you can retrieve that file with FTP or SCP.   If you ever had to completely restore an EQL array you can use that file to put all the volumes names, access controls, etc onto the new array.

Regards,

No Events found!