Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2011 15:00

replacing H200 controller

Is there any public documentation on the process of replacing a H200 (integrated) while keeping the raid and data on the disks in tact? From what I've gathered, this should be trivial and requiring couple steps in the H200 bios (what steps), yet support claims this to be "tricky".

• 

6.2K Posts

December 30th, 2011 10:00

Hello Budrumi

To my knowledge there is not a walk through for that procedure.  Here is the link to the H200 user's guide: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The process should be quite simple. All you would need to do is swap out the controller and then import the configuration from the drives on the new controller. If you are replacing the controller with anything other than an H200 then it may not work.  Each controller writes the meta data a little different.  If you stay with the same manufacturer, in this case LSI, then there is a chance it will work.  If you are switching to an S100/S300; which is manufactured by Dot Hill then it is very unlikely it will work.  Our PERC 4's are when we started switching to LSI, so you shouldn't have to worry about Adaptec.  Any controllers we currently sell for this server will be LSI or Dot Hill.

The data is stored on the drives and the configuration of the array is cached on the controller.  If there is a mismatch between the controller and the information on the drives then you will receive a mismatch or foreign configuration error.  All you need to do is import the information from the drives to the controller to create a new configuration file on the controller.

Thanks

13 Posts

December 30th, 2011 10:00

Thanks Daniel, this would be 1-1 H200 swap, so I expected little problems. Thanks for the additional information.

No Events found!