Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2010 17:00

All Possible Causes for a Dell Laptop not turning on

I'm a computer kind of person, many people come to me with their problems. I just was called, to ask to help fix a laptop that won't turn on. This time I have an incentive, so I that's why I'm asking here. ^_^ I'll be going to look at it tomorrow, so hopefully I can get answers quick. I don't know the person, so I don't know the computer, my friend's computer has a virus problem that I'm going to fix tomorrow, but this other person has a Dell laptop the won't turn on. If this is any  help, the laptop is most likely a 17 inch model as from what I hear it's fairly big.

The most likely to me seems that it could be the battery, and\or the AC adapter. I have quite a few Dell laptops, I think the biggest I have is a Dell M1530, so I'm not sure, but if it would fit, would it work in a 17 inch model? I'm sorry I don't have so much information. I just want to know all the possible causes of a laptop not turning on, so that I can come prepared with what I have. Anyway, thanks.

1 Message

November 28th, 2014 10:00

Spot on.

The battery was bad - once I removed the battery, the system powered on.

I will look for a replacement battery.

Thanks,

-PK

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2010 18:00

The general troubleshooting scheme:

Remove the battery and unplug the system.  Hold the power button for 30 seconds and reseat (remove and reinstall) all memory modules.

Verify that the LED on the AC adapter is ON before you plug in the system board.  If it is not, the adapter is bad -- replace it.

If the system will then power up with no battery, but won't with the battery installed, the battery is bad.

If it won't power up at all, chances are the mainboard - or the DC power board if the system has a separate one - is faulty.

23 Posts

December 4th, 2010 18:00

Thank you, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I suppose the RAM could go bad too, but that seems unlikely. Well thanks, I suppose I will find out tomorrow. You've been a great help.

No Events found!